PDA

View Full Version : Engine really bad! Need some HELP!

sTuDeNt
06-09-04, 08:18 PM
I need some help!
Friend has original Mk1 polo or audi 50 whatever you want to call them! Now the car is 25 years old and has seen better times! I am by far not a mechanic but with the knowladge i got here thought i give it a go!
The engine is still running but running real bad, its really strugling! Makes bad sucking noise, like there is no airfilter on carb at all!
To start the engine you need to pull the choke all the way out and if after start you try to put it a bit back it stalls... :o When its all wormed up its still strugles without the choke! Sounds like its about to die!
Can it be bad fuel supply? Can it be bad pump can it be blocked carb jet? I was thinking getting this Power Boost spray to clean the engine a bit bt worried that it will die with it!
Please help!!!

dan-hipgrave
06-09-04, 10:17 PM
probably just needs a proper service mate - replace all plugs/leads etc, get the carb set up etc etc.

You could try and run some of the powerboost stuff through it but when i put some through mine, it blocked the carb jet and knackered a gasket, i had to put mine in a garage for them to sort out the damage that the spray had done :evil:

Ive got some left lying around if you want it and are ever in the area..

Adam
07-09-04, 08:48 PM
Yeah mate sounds like it needs a good service, and then check for any air leaks around carb, head gasket.
Older cars will need the choke until the engine is warmed up, the choke could be flooding the engine though if fully on. Boggy engine will cause it to stall and is normally a sign of over-fueling. Check timing etc.

If i was your mate i would just scrap the car, you can pick a good runner up out of a local paper for probably ?50-?100. It is gonna cost that for new oil/filter,air filter, leads,dizzy etc.
It ain't worth it.

I was gonna use some of that powerboost stuff on my car until i read what dan put, looks like that stuff won't be coming near my engine.

sTuDeNt
07-09-04, 10:28 PM
I have used Power Boost on my 1.2! Made it run well nice, its more smooth and more responsive. It chuked a lot of shit from exhaust but then just clean smoke. I am pleased and going to have it done again after some time!
Sorry Dan mate, just unfortunate that it happened to you :roll: