PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 - 1.6 hybrid....

drivebyracing
06-09-04, 07:52 PM
Right...

Ive got a fully working 1.4 CARB and a fully working 1.6i nova engines sat here and i was thinking...

What can i do with them?

Could i mix and match the heads/sumps/whatever to get better performance than the engines as standard on their own?

E.g could i fit the 1.6i head on teh 1.4 bottom end?

I need ideas people!!

Anything tried and tested will be considered.....

epo
06-09-04, 08:25 PM
with you having the full engine would it not be easier and get the most gains by droppin the whole 1.6 in

Stuart
06-09-04, 09:28 PM
yep easiest drop is a 1.6 in the bay

OR if you want to keep a 1.4 block deck the 1.6 head and fit that to the 1.4 bottom end

Motor World
07-09-04, 02:46 AM
Sorry, i posted that at my mates comp, and forgot to sign in under my name....

Well if you think that dropping the 1.6 in and using the full engine is the BEST way to go then that will do just fine..

Was told somewhere that the 1.6 head on the 1.4 bottom end would create a shocking engine...

maybe they are wrong.... no worries..

ill be changing all the wear and tear parts and upgrading any and all parts as i go along anyway... so it doesnt really matter which route i go...

Just when he mentioned that, i had a HUGE lightbulb appear above my head.... :D

Stuart
07-09-04, 08:12 AM
a 1.6 head on a 1.4 bottom end is great if your going to turbo the 1.4 as it reduces the compression ratio etc, but with the loss of compression ratio you lose power on a N/A engine

a 1.4 head on a 1.6 is a bad move unless you get atleast 1.6 valves cut into it, then you may has well just get the 1.6 head worked on (eg skim/deck it)

OR look this way a std (new) 1.6 is 100bhp and the 1.4 is 72 i belive. now you will need to do a fair bit of work to the 1.4 to get 100bhp from it.

for ease and economics the 1.6 is the way to go.

epo
07-09-04, 07:03 PM
the main advantage of the 1.4 tho is cheaper road tax :wink:

Motor World
08-09-04, 01:05 AM
thanks guys, the advice is great!!

Ive just been offered a bored out 1.6 bottom end... its bored to 1650 and the guy is asking for ?50...

Ill be replacing all the cams etcetc with upgraded parts as we go along so...

can anyone recommend anything specific i can do i.e what cams to get etc...

i wanna get it running as smooth and as nice as i can :D

If you happen to know the price aswell then that would be great..

The reason im asking you lot instead of looking it up myself is that you lot have tried and tested these products and will know which are best and which to avoid!

Cheers in advance!!

Craig

Stuart
08-09-04, 07:56 AM
first off its one cam, unless youve got a 16V head lol

a kent AST2 cam would be good on T40's but maybe not so good with std injection

read the tuning guide at the top of the page

Snowface
08-09-04, 03:58 PM
you want a kent nvo61 i think to go in the 1.6 Mpi. That will give you more power further up the rev's but take some off a bit below 2800.