PDA

View Full Version : car cut out completly and wont start again HELP please

woollard1892
03-09-04, 12:28 AM
got to work today and when i done my windows up my stereo turned its self off and the car died and wouldnt start again. I charged the battery up for a few hours and got it started but on the way home my lights kept turning of and my digi dash kept going blank and the fuel reading kept changing. the only probs that i had noticed before was that my rev counter kept going dodgey not reading correct revs and somtimes not working at all. i had a c20xe put in a few weeks ago and has been fine up until today apart from ideling when somtimes the revs drop down low and then rev up high somtimes drop right out having to start the car again any ideas anyone

dazzilla
03-09-04, 12:53 AM
Those symptoms sounds dangerously similar to mine. What i did on mine to get it working for a while was, put a new ingnition booster thing on. It sit under your ignition coil. Or simply make sure its earthed.

robb
03-09-04, 09:45 AM
Yeah sounds like a bad earth to me.

I had a bad earth, suddenly the car wouldn't start, so I charged the battery, changed the alternator (not fun on GSi lump!) and found a bad connection on starter earth.

It just seemed like the battery had given up.

woollard1892
03-09-04, 09:56 AM
ok thanks for advice will go check earths now

Stuart
03-09-04, 09:58 AM
Easiest check is to clamp a jump lead to the engine and then clip that on the NEGATIVE pole on the battery. That will give the game away nicely.