PDA

View Full Version : Getting drivers door off!!!!

dunova
01-09-04, 03:32 PM
I know everyone says this is an utter b***ard of a job, and now the dreaded time has come for a new door and the body shop, so has anyone got any tips for getting it off? The main problem i think is the pins aren't that easy to get to and i cant get a direct or very powerfull belt from the hammer on it. I was thinking about getting an angle grinder on the door to cut it off at the hinges and then going at the pins-abit drastic but could make it a whole lot easier and fun :lol:

Any help appreciated!

Ben
01-09-04, 04:56 PM
Get a long bolt and just hit it through and then use a pair of maul grips to get them back out, i have it down to an artfrom now, love taking doors off :lol:

Al Wilson
01-09-04, 06:06 PM
There was a fairly lengthy post of this about a momth ago. take a look through the forum.

Dpnova
01-09-04, 06:29 PM
Use the door puller tool..it still took me hours doing it with this then i gave up grinded the door off anf you can get to the bolts easy :twisted:

Al Wilson
01-09-04, 06:40 PM
^^^ You grinded the door off!? Wasn't it drafty afterwards?

eggy
01-09-04, 08:10 PM
I posted last month about this and tried everything to get the pins out including the bonnet stay cut in half method. It turned out that the pins had rusted and broken in the middle of the hinge on the door. I resorted to the angle grinder to the door method and after spending two days trying to get the pins out it was very satisfying to vent my rage on the rusty door. Still took another morning to get the pins out . If you have got another door I would just cut off the old one and be done with it

dunova
02-09-04, 08:12 AM
Well i think its going to be the angle grinder approach :D
Although that bonnet holder method might be worth a try aswell.

The only thing with the grinder approach is i'm not sure my grinder can take big enough disks-i need about an 8 inch disks to get at the hinge from the outside. I might use it to cut the inside door skin out by the hinges and then cut them from the inside :idea:

--roybacer--
02-09-04, 10:02 AM
there is a proper tool for this. think theyre hard to get hold of tho.
its a pin with a screw on top and a bar that attatches to the bottom then u hit the bar. gets the pins out in minutes. the old garage i worked at had 1.
dunno where ull get 1 tho

--roybacer--
02-09-04, 10:03 AM
there is a proper tool for this. think theyre hard to get hold of tho.
its a pin with a screw on top and a bar that attatches to the bottom then u hit the bar. gets the pins out in minutes. the old garage i worked at had 1.
dunno where ull get 1 tho

Dpnova
02-09-04, 10:07 AM
There not hard to get hold of....but i had the same problem mentioned before where the pin broke in the hinge :cry:

--roybacer--
02-09-04, 10:18 AM
yeah, the top nut thing tends to shear off aswell!!
sorry bout the two posts, obviously cant use a computer

dunova
02-09-04, 10:27 AM
Just had a look at a post on migweb and they mentioned them-i should be able to pick one up from motaman or somewhere so will try one of them first.

There not hard to get hold of....but i had the same problem mentioned before where the pin broke in the hinge

How did that happen?!? Something i'd rather not happen to me :o

Dpnova
02-09-04, 10:36 AM
it just rusted through. If it happens the tool wont work. Thats why i used a lovely grinder :twisted:

dunova
02-09-04, 10:44 AM
From what i can see i dont think mine are rusty so hopefully that wont happen, but if it does, the grinder will rip the mo fo off :evil:
Bloody vauxhall crap :lol:

--roybacer--
02-09-04, 10:51 AM
not crap or old.
i like to use the word "classic" lol

Stuart
02-09-04, 11:11 AM
just incase, soak the hinges in WD40 (or rostoff, some german freeze spray stuff its good) to ease thingsa bit

dunova
02-09-04, 11:25 AM
not crap or old.
i like to use the word "classic" lol

Just like the numerous 'classic' bolts in my engine bay that are completely in-accessable to any human :lol:
or maybe the 'classic' nova steering column surround :lol:

Ben
02-09-04, 12:28 PM
My way never fails, find a correct size long bolt (fits snuggly into hole) and hit it through and it cleans out the whole tube the simply bash the bolt back out with pliers/maulgrips on it.

Matt2107
02-09-04, 11:59 PM
i brought a Draper door pin removal tool that retails at around ?11 (although i got it for about ?4) and it still didnt work.

Spent ages whacking it, gave up in the end.

Think i'll let my dad loose on it with the angle grinder, any excuse for him to use it.