PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16v Alternator?

Ojc
31-08-04, 09:57 AM
Right, I've got the old 1.4 SR alternator on my engine, changed the bottom pulley to match and fitted a belt.

The only problem is, is the belt is slightly slack and I have no way of tightening it.

How have you guys got around this?

Also, where do you put the ECU? Mines just sitting in the drivers footwell.

robb
31-08-04, 12:25 PM
I take it it's fully adjusted on the bracket?

Then try some smaller belts and/or old pulley combinations till it works.

Ojc
31-08-04, 01:26 PM
This is the problem, it has'nt a bracket to adujst it on as I'm waiting to have one welded to the suspension turret, in the meantime I could try a smaller belt I suppose and keep a spare in the car just in case it slips off.

robb
31-08-04, 01:32 PM
What are you mounting the alternator to the suspension turret for!!!!!!

The engine is on rubber mounts so it can move around right? well you wouldn't want that much movement going through the alternator belt!

Surly there is a bracket on yours, what is it and how did the alternator fit before?

Ojc
31-08-04, 01:55 PM
I never done the conversion a mate done it, its bolted onto the engine but there is no bracket for adjustment.

robb
31-08-04, 02:11 PM
Well there should be a space for one then, I would imagine they are the same as the nova ones! You may not have a bracket but you will have the space for one.

Ojc
31-08-04, 02:25 PM
I think I need the X16XE conversion experts in here to clarify.

robb
31-08-04, 03:02 PM
Speak to Will_F, send a PM or something.

He has just finished his conversion and complete car rebuild. (he replaced anything and everything!)

Or there is Ben who helped him, they have had more limited access now though.

Ben
31-08-04, 05:14 PM
I used the wide belt corsa GSi one on my X16 XE.

The problem you have is there is no bracket, fit a diff alt with a bracket on and then just tighten it up, or take it back to the guy who fitted it and make him fix his mistake.

Ojc
01-09-04, 10:02 AM
We did have the wide belt on on there but it touched the chassis leg, so put the 1.4 SR one on there and changed the bottom pulley to match.

What alternator could I use? This is the last problem I have and its been there since the start.

robb
01-09-04, 10:40 AM
Can you not use the original alternator with adjuster on and change both pulleys to use the SR belt. You can get different sizes so if too big take it and get one 1-2 teeth smaller.

Aragorn
01-09-04, 09:26 PM
u need an adjuster from a 16v engine with vbelt alternator

try a 1.2 16v corsa maybe

might find the nova alternator bracket will fit on or you could fabricate your own...

it NEEDS to be attached to the engine tho, otherwise when u accellerate it will overtension the belt then when u backoff it will go slack due to the engine moving around on its rubber mountings which is just not going to work

homeboy.G.
18-09-04, 05:41 PM
on my c16xe i used the bracket from the 1400 sr engine and unbolted the top bolt on the xe and put the bracket in its place.

easy :D

Ojc
20-09-04, 03:27 PM
I made my own bracket, in shape of a t-piece and bolted it to the side of the inletmanifold, it worked a treat and done 400 miles without it slacking off.