PDA

View Full Version : nova grpA gear linkage setup

rodgerq
30-08-04, 10:53 PM
ok i need some info on this. ive priced all the bits from hockley. comes out at a tad under 600 quid. steep, very in fact. is there any cheaper places. anyone used this linkage setup before? implanning on using it on an f28, will it work ok?

cheers

rodgerq

BigRuss
31-08-04, 08:44 AM
You only need that type linkage on a Dog box, if You're running a synchro box it is a total waste of time!!

m.d.
31-08-04, 06:34 PM
just get a brand new standard linkage and get an engineering co to make up replacements for ant nylon bushes with brass ones. then get a quick shift kit and jobs done

rodgerq
31-08-04, 07:00 PM
if i wanted any sort of resemblance to the standard linkage i'd go for the griffith one, rose jointed ends ;)

but im goin all out on this project so if anyone knows anything about the setup please let me know.

cheers

rodgerq

Ben
01-09-04, 05:27 PM
What engine you putting the F28 on, i was always in the way of thinking that the straighter the change on a F28 the easier, cant see why you would want to make it more awkward?

rodgerq
01-09-04, 05:29 PM
itll be a LET. im after the best possible change i can get. ive been in contact with a boy now that has a similar setup using small universal typew joints called helicopter joints. says the shift is superb. literally no play in the whole setup as it goes straight from the box right onto the stick, exaclt what i ewant!!

rodgerq

Ben
01-09-04, 05:36 PM
That makes sense, i dont think the GRP A one would suit though TBH

rodgerq
01-09-04, 05:39 PM
its basically the same as a grpA linkage though. same lever with conecting rods goin through the bulkhead on the inside, with these helicopter joints where it needs to bend or move.

rodgerq

S_Gault
01-09-04, 07:22 PM
ive used them on the group A cars i work at.

I wouldnt recommend it for a road car or any form of quickshift at all for a syncro box..

Steven

rodgerq
01-09-04, 07:24 PM
ive used them on the group A cars i work at.

I wouldnt recommend it for a road car or any form of quickshift at all for a syncro box..

Steven

why not?

rodgerq

S_Gault
01-09-04, 10:01 PM
coz you end up engaging the dog rings of the gears before the baulk ring gets a chance to do its job.. this takes the corners off the teeth on them and your box is done in no time.

Most of the rebuilds i do are coz of this..

Steven

BigRuss
01-09-04, 10:03 PM
Trust Me,It will give You nothing but trouble, on a synchro box You need a certain amount of "Flex" in your gear linkage. On a dog box You want no flex at all and a very direct gear linkage as these boxes are quite aggresive to use.

The direct helicopter swivel jointed group "A" linkages as available from Harry Hockly's and Ralloy etc.. are designed to be used in conjuction with a DOG BOX solely :o :o

You do it and
A: You've wasted a lot of money.

B: You'll have nothing but trouble and even risk jamming Your box in two gears at the same time (Seen this happen a few times)

C: When the above does happen We will laugh and say "I told You so but You wouldn't listen"

rodgerq
01-09-04, 10:31 PM
C: When the above does happen We will laugh and say "I told You so but You wouldn't listen"

i never said i would go ahead with it though :wink:

thats the point of this thread, to see whether it would work or not. now its came to light it wont, good. rather that than me not have asked and end up buggering my box by goin ahead and fitting it.

im HOPING to get some sort of quality box once i get this mofo built and ran in etc so i'll look into it when/if the time comes and i can afford one. prob wont be for a while anyway...with the prices of a decent box or even a gearset :o

cheers lads :beer:

rodgerq

Rick Draper
07-09-04, 11:06 AM
im HOPING to get some sort of quality box once i get this mofo built and ran in etc so i'll look into it when/if the time comes and i can afford one. prob wont be for a while anyway...with the prices of a decent box or even a gearset :o

cheers lads :beer:

rodgerq

Rodger the problem with the F28 is no one makes gear sets for it and there do not seem to be any other options at all. Rick

rodgerq
07-09-04, 11:15 AM
quaiffe quoted me 7k for a SCCR sequential box :lol: :roll: :?

thing is it doesnt even mount to the engine, it would still need the bellhousing modified and probably the use of one of there clutche and flywheel combos to take the input shaft.

an expensive venture, but it would be top drawer :D :D

rodgerq

Stuart
07-09-04, 11:24 AM
wont the 4 of the 5 out of a F20 fit?

ok you wont have close dog 5th or 6th but the first 4 gears get the pounding anyway