PDA

View Full Version : DVD help. +R, -R, WTF?

_JH_
30-08-04, 08:31 PM
whats the difference?

I'm getting a dvd writer. its 16x +R and 16x -R. Looking at DVDs, the r and rw I'm guessing are the same as with cds, where you can do multisessions on nero and the like (or am I wrong there too?) but what the hell is the plus and minus all about. I know the -R are cheaper!

wisewood
30-08-04, 08:37 PM
Different type of encoding as far as i've been told.

DVD-R (or RW) means the same thing as you would expect it to...
But the + uses a different method of encoding onto the disc... or something like that. + is the newer type stuff anyway, but to be honest you're probably just best off getting one compliant with both.

Hopefully this will help you.

How is DVD+R/+RW related to competing formats like DVD-R/-RW/-RAM?
DVD+R/+RW, DVD-RAM and DVD-R/-RW are all rewritable DVD formats, however, only DVD+R/+RW is designed from the start to be compatible with existing DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players, both on a physical as well as on a logical level. This means that a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc recorded in a DVD+R/+RW video recorder can be played in virtually all DVD-Video players or DVD-ROM equiped PCs, and that any DVD+R or DVD+RW disc recorded with data on a PC DVD+R/+RW drive can be read by most DVD-ROM drives.

DVD-RAM uses a totally different kind of physical recording method, which is absolutely incompatible with DVD (hence, it can hardly be called 'DVD'). No normal DVD player will be able to read DVD-RAM discs, even if you use the newer DVD-RAM version without a cartridge housing.

DVD-R and DVD-RW were initially not designed to be used as a DVD-compatible recording solution. DVD compatibility was added at a later point, however since the formats were not developped for this purpose, they do not offer the level of compatibility and flexibility (while remaining DVD compatible!) that DVD+R/+RW offers. Furthermore, DVD-R/-RW is less suitable for data applications as well due to a number of technical limitations (such as the inability of random access writing). For a very extensive comparison of the various formats, please refer to Comparison with DVD-R/-RW Video Recorders and Comparison with DVD-R/-RW PC Drives.

The DVD-RAM and DVD-R/-RW supporters have announced numurous compatibility programs for their DVD players (such as "DVD-Multi" and "VR support"), however only a small minority of players will include these (costly!) additions. DVD-RAM/-R/-RW lies the burden of compatibility on the player, while DVD+R/+RW lies the burden of compatibility on the recorder itself.

_JH_
30-08-04, 11:37 PM
I SEE!

yeah the writer does both types.

cheers

?Marty?
31-08-04, 12:29 AM
I still use potaTOE stamps for mine.

DVD writers ARE wicked tho!! As are the hard-drive ones. watch the begining while it's recording the end and etc etc. Marvellous.