PDA

View Full Version : Fitting an SR cam to a 1.2..

dan-hipgrave
28-08-04, 09:32 AM
I have just recieved an SR cam from Barn (cheers for that mate :D ) and if someone could please take some time out of their weekend and write me a guide on how to go about fitting it i would be very grateful.

Bearing in mind that i am a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing, is it going to be too hard for me to do and should i put it in the garage?

I have the SR cam in its housing and 8 pulleys..is it just a case of unbolting the old cam housing and bolting this one on or will everything need adjusting as well - carb, timing etc?

Cheers guys,

Dan

Snowface
28-08-04, 11:38 AM
best bet is to look in Haynes manual. Tells you.

If not got one thne get one. You'll learn a lot from it.

Its quite a hard operation the first time you take of sylinder head and remove can.

Got to get the timing right awell after you put it back together, if not the valves can bend.

Haynes will tell u all.

stiller_uk
28-08-04, 11:44 AM
What Snowface said!

If ur using the cam carrier that the sr cam is in the the cylinder off will have to come off.

The cylinder head bolts hold down the cam carrier and the head.

If u just wont to exchange the cam without taking the head off u need speical tooling to do it!

dan-hipgrave
28-08-04, 12:05 PM
Right its going into a garage to have the cam fitted then, sounds way too complicated for me to do :lol:

day
28-08-04, 12:12 PM
i want to do the same thing. put a 1.4 sr cam into my 1.3, ive haerd you can use this tool from draper, to swap without having to remove the head.

http://www.drapertools.com/draper/templates/draper/products.asp?param=12&ig_id=5659&title=GM+%28VAUXHALL%2FOPEL%29+VALVE+PLAY+COMPENSA TOR+AND+ROCKER+ARM+REMOVER

but i wouldnt really know where to start. could anyone give a quick guide? or what to watch out for.

it wouldnt any where near as complicated if ya nevr had to remove the head m8.

dan-hipgrave
28-08-04, 12:14 PM
yeh i know that it shouldnt be too complicated because i wont have to remove the head, but i dont wanna mess around with the timing etc. because i dont know what i am doing really.

Riggy
28-08-04, 12:51 PM
there was a guide in tv mag a couple of month back but the use a cam follower press sp it was easier as you dont need to take the head off :D :D

day
30-08-04, 10:41 PM
can anyone please scan this in for us? its a cheeky thing to ask but please! the 1.4 will b going to the scrappy soon, I dont want to miss my chance.

burgo
31-08-04, 02:26 AM
ur gonna have to do the timin any way even if u replace the cam carrier ur best bet is to get a cam belt and head gasket and do them at the same time, if u want me to talk u threw this or even do it for u pm me mate

poddys
05-01-15, 12:46 PM
i want to do the same thing. put a 1.4 sr cam into my 1.3, ive haerd you can use this tool from draper, to swap without having to remove the head.
but i wouldnt really know where to start. could anyone give a quick guide? or what to watch out for.
it wouldnt any where near as complicated if ya nevr had to remove the head m8.

That link doesn't work any more, this is the correct link:
http://www.drapertools.com/product/33607/Expert%20Valve%20Play%20Compensator%20and%20Rocker %20Arm%20Remover%20for%20GM%20OHC%20Engines