PDA

View Full Version : Sub & Amp..what else?

Cassie-Nova
26-08-04, 09:51 PM
Hi guys,

Just got a cheapy cheap Sony Xplod 1200w (peak) Sub and a 250w Xplod amp to go with it..not bad for ?120 - admittidly i know jack about subs/amps. I've got some 300w 6x9s and the HU installed already, up and running and fitted the ISO connector myself so i know what wires are where....

What else do i require to fit the sub/amp? I know i need to get a box for it - is it cheaper/easier just to build my own? And wiring kit will i need?

ANY advice, help, opinions are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Alpine99
27-08-04, 09:11 AM
go down to your local motor world and buy a 12" box for ?20.

wire it up.... there you go, should be a nice system :)

epo
27-08-04, 06:31 PM
the wring kit you need wants to be the same size rating as your amp or higher

as for boxe's i made me own just bought mdf from wicks
am not a joiner and it wasnt perfect but it does the job and was quite pleased about it

Adam
27-08-04, 09:04 PM
My system is just:-
Panasonic Headunit-50x4
Kenwood 12" 700w peak sub
300RMS Pro Plus NSK amp
Kenwood 13cm(5.25inches) coaxials-75w rms next to the parcel shelf
And there will be 6 1/2inch coaxials in the doors next week when i fit them.

As epo said make sure your wiring kit is rated enough for your amp/sub rms wattage, my wiring cost ?15 off ebay, its rated at 30amps, 30amps, so 300w rms/12-14v is around the correct amps. I could probably do with slightly thicked guage wire, but sod it.
Took the live feed straight from the battery with the 30amp fuse close to battery, took that through the bulkhead, then fed the live feed and remote wire down one side of the car and RCA leads down the other.
Tucked them all under the side sills, and then wires them into my amp, make sure no strands of wire are touching other terminals, used the rear cluster securing bolt as an earth. To bridge the sub, connect the positive speaker to the Left channel side and the other wire to the negative on the right channel(a 2ch amp will have L+-, and R+-, connect your sub wires on to R+ and the other to L-, this bridges it and gives maximum power.
Wired up the lot and it worked fine first time. 2 months ago i hadn't done anything to a car, but now i am quite used to the electrics etc after fitting my HU,amp, alarm etc.

And the sub kicks some serious bass, got the gain set to about half way on a low level filter(so the sub only produces low bass notes), i don't know how people have two or three subs(Epo) stand the bass, with just my one it is plenty bass, it shakes the boot panel, and rattles my rear number plate. This is when playing mostly rap type cds, Missy Elliot-pass that dutch, and Jay Z-99 problems, very bassy songs.
I have also built a MDF floor today, cost ?5 for the MDf cut the shape using the carpet as a template and then painted the MDF. Put it in the boot and screwed down the amp and sub. Quite pleased with it.
It would sound even louder in a Nova, as i have a five door astra which is a lot bigger than a 3door nova.

I think my system is quite good for the price i paid, around ?180, second hand.
Its plenty for me, i thing i may do is get a blue neon to light the boot a bit.

If you need any help just ask on here mate.
Good luck.
SOrry about the essay.

burgo
31-08-04, 02:57 AM
go back to halfords where u got the sub and amp from and ask for a wiring kit for it and put it in as follows

earth lead to bumper mount
main power down the drivers side i beleave as this has no other wires down it
RDA and remote lead down oposite side to power lead
the leads from amp to sump should b obvious

and make sure u have the fuse in the main power lead max two foot from battery

need any other help pm me