PDA

View Full Version : F13CR on 1.3

5door_racer
26-08-04, 07:13 PM
i got a mk1 1.3 5dr with the standard f10 fitted. i read on here that the f13cr is the best gearbox for the engine as i have t40's, kent cam etc.

Do i just remove the f10 and fit the f13 straight on or do i need to change any thing~?

also read that a lot of people change their "final drive." Don't really know what it means or how to change it

cheers tim

MechaT
26-08-04, 08:51 PM
Someone really needs to write a definitive guide on gearboxes for everyone here!!

Yeah the F13 box fits straight on. Use the F10 clutch because the the F13 one is bigger and won't fit the engine.

The differential is bolted to a gear called the crownwheel. the crownwheel (and hence the diff) are driven a smaller gear called the pinion. The ratio between these two gears is called the final drive ratio.

My CR box has an f.d. of 3.97:1. As opposed to the original WR box which had 4.18:1. So there's give and take - CR box has lower gear ratios but higher f.d. ratio.

Could just be my car but I found that it made no difference to standing start acceleration, but the difference is in driving gear changes are easier when caning it. And, because you're driving closer to peak torque, you don't need to fool around changing gear for quick acceleration.

To change the f.d you need to take out the diff and swap it for one with a different f.d. It's not in Haynes but I have it in similar manual by Autodata. Looks easy enough (on paper at least) but the problem is that you have to torque up the diff bearing correctly when installing the new diff or you'll wreck it.

Hope that helped. 8)

Stuart
26-08-04, 09:46 PM
there was a post not long ago regarding how to change the FD. should only be 2 pages back tops.

i will get round to writing a guide at some point

whitty_nova_1300sr
26-08-04, 10:39 PM
Someone really needs to write a definitive guide on gearboxes for everyone here!!

i would like 2 know more information about gearboxs

Snowface
27-08-04, 07:57 PM
Most people don't bother looking back 2-3 pages and as search don't work they tend to ask again.

Ste_Nova
27-08-04, 08:38 PM
bigger clutch will fit fine with f13 and small flywheel