PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used a strobe light before

johnny27
25-08-04, 11:29 AM
Got a strobe light for timing given to me, have'nt got a clue how to use it. Anyone know howto for a 1200 carbed nova? Thanks

robb
25-08-04, 01:23 PM
You should have a pos and neg for dizzy and a lead to go on on of the plug leads, once these are all connected correctly the box should display the revs and timing degrees, the strobe should flash in time with the car so that if shone at bottom pulley you see the mark only and it won't move.

You can then twist the dizzy to set timing up, i think it's around 9degrees for an ohc lump.

-Bruce-
25-08-04, 02:23 PM
it depends on what timing gun you have, you could have a old thing that my dad used to use, and the settings would be different!! but its all the same really as all you need to do is move the dizzy untill the marks line up!! it can become abit more complex when doing other engines but for your 1200 should be ok!!

bruce

MechaT
25-08-04, 06:54 PM
You need to set the timing to 7 degrees BTDC. The timing pointer on the engine is unhelpfully set to 10 degrees which is for leaded petrol. Some new fangled guns have a dial so you can set the timing to whatever you want

robb
26-08-04, 09:21 AM
Mine is set at around 9, we actually set it up according to the engine.

That is what haynes said as a figure for std engines, so I used it as a starting point.