PDA

View Full Version : single wiper = mot failure

Dave
25-08-04, 11:16 AM
just had car go for mot an it's failed :o
the single wiper i've got sits in the middle of the screen an has been judged to disrupt driver vision.
have tried moving the wiper but the way the wiper arm works it doesn't clear the drivers side an tries to clean the bonnet for me.
has anyone had sim. problems with them an how have you got round them if you have??

robb
25-08-04, 04:26 PM
Set the bit that goes to motor flat as poss, pointing to left.

Set wiper where you need it, do it all up and run it to check.

If the wiper ducks down a bit before doing rest of screen then take from motor and place wiper where it ducks to, redo the motor one up without moving wiper.

Once the start stop position on motor to linkage is set you can adjust wiper now so it covers whole screen evenly.

Failing that fit the std one (if you still have both holes) just for MOT!

Alex
25-08-04, 04:40 PM
when converting from centre parked to side parked dont take the wiper arm off the linkage, take the linkage off the motor and position it so the wiper is sat where you want it at rest. I did this just yesterday.

epo
25-08-04, 06:53 PM
mine failed for the same reason mate i thought it might but i just risked it any way i altered mine at the motor like said above

Dave
25-08-04, 09:02 PM
Cheers for help guys all sorted now so should go back tomorrow if i get there in time an sail through! :D

Jim
25-08-04, 10:41 PM
Never been a fan of having the wiper sat in the middle. The MOT failure is one of the reasons why i havent positioned mine there.

Jim

mowgli
26-08-04, 10:01 PM
Haven't any of you chaps seen a mercedes 190????? The wiper sits straight up. Then there are all of those split screen Morris Minors & VW campers. Not to mention London Buses. A call to the local DOT vehicle testing centre might be prudent.