PDA

View Full Version : carbs

--roybacer--
24-08-04, 07:54 PM
i want to put carbs on my 2l 8v in my nova.
any1 know anything bout em.
what carbs will i need n wher will i get a manifold??

Paul
25-08-04, 10:52 AM
try www.tuning.co.uk for the manifold.

You will need Twin 45's as Twin 40s would not be beneficial, as the standard injection system would be better.

If I was you though, I would spend the extra money on an XE?

Paul

robb
25-08-04, 04:28 PM
If I was you I'd get 4 carbs from a single cyl 400 - 600cc motorbike, get a manifold made up, make a linkage and have a bike carb per cylinder.

That will release a few ponies and sound awesome.

--roybacer--
25-08-04, 05:52 PM
hmmmmm interested in that bike carb theory??
how hard is it to do??
ne1 done it??
is it worth it??

Stuart
25-08-04, 05:59 PM
it will be expensive

just get t40's or better yet T45's ebay has loads on there for cheap

--roybacer--
25-08-04, 06:01 PM
t40s seem to be expensive on ebay whereas bike carbs u can pick up alot cheaper. i can guess getn a manifold made wont be cheap!
carbs arent my forte really

Stuart
25-08-04, 06:09 PM
you'd be looking at about ?250 ALL in for 40's etc

bike carbs wont be much cheaper and as you say getting the manifold made will cost a bomb in comparrison to a ready made tried and tested 40/45 setup etc

if your not hot on this subject then either learn a lot fast and do it with bike carbs, or take the "easy" way out and get webber/dellorto 40/45's

or leave it alone lol

--roybacer--
25-08-04, 06:11 PM
lol!! fair comment!!
i just like wild ideas!!
looks like ebay is the answer, just have to sit and wait for some for my engine now!!

robb
26-08-04, 09:29 AM
Just start collecting bike carbs, once you have a set of four then you can use the twin manifold or a TB manifold and just make some adapter plates.

The linkage will not be hard to do, same as twins with a bar running length of manifold that just connects to all 4 and the pedal in car.

Then just take it to be jetted and set up.

If you are going to wait for a set to come up on ebay or somwhere you could have a look around the bike heaps or shops.

--roybacer--
26-08-04, 04:44 PM
theres loadsa bike carbs on ebay (sets of 4)
how easy/hard would it be to make a manifold??
my bro is a shit hot welder/fabricator.

m.d.
26-08-04, 08:48 PM
ive got 45s on my 2.0 8v and it fully opened the engine up, eveb 40s with large chokes would be much much better than the standard injection.

the sound the 2.0 makes on carbs is well nice too,

gggggggrrrrrrrrroooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAdududu :twisted:

robb
27-08-04, 09:04 AM
You would use a normal manifold and make an adapter plate.

Or if you can get a manifold with carbs you could modify it to fit a std one cut up a bit.

m.d.
27-08-04, 09:41 PM
looking at the 8v manifold (as with most injection manifolds) you can cut it about 2 inches from the gasget face, then get the shape of the carb gasget face made from ally (may be able to get them pre made from demon tweeks) and weld them on to the cut manifold, would just need porting to match them together then and there you go. im gunna do it to an xe manifold i have lying arround