PDA

View Full Version : twin 40's

MattNova
24-08-04, 01:52 PM
right i have reciently been thinking about getting somw twin 40's for my car, but there are a few things that i would like to know first.

can i fit them myself/ how long would they take to fit myself/ how hard
if i cant fit them myself easy enough, how much to get ftted (approx)
where can i get them from
what are their advantages over standard
how do they increase performance

as you can all see from the above, i dont realy know anything about carbs...but hopefully some of you will. any help is very much appreciated.

cheers

Matt

dunova
24-08-04, 02:10 PM
Well they are easy to fit (even if you don't work on your engine much-the haynes manual should be of some help!) but you'll have to have them set up-preferably rolling roaded. You could get them on ebay (because new they are very expensive). However you dont just need the carbs, you would need an alternator lowering bracket, the linkages, inlet manifold and the correct size trumpets for your engine.
I would only get them though if you have a cam and headwork because otherwise the gains in power aren't that much-but with these the gains in power are very good, but petrol consumption isn't!

Hope that helps, what engine is it for?

MattNova
24-08-04, 02:20 PM
well its only a 1.2 carb. i knew that i would have to buy som other parts, but i didn't realise how many parts i would need. i was just reading the othre thread about the twin 40's and i now realise that it is probably best to get a new fuel pump aswell

"I would only get them though if you have a cam and headwork because otherwise the gains in power aren't that much-but with these the gains in power are very good, but petrol consumption isn't!"

im not sure what you mean by cam or headwork so it is probably best to assume that i dont have them.

thanks for the help, i think i will have to weigh up the costs of the whole 'package' and see if it is worth getting.

cheers anyway

Matt

Stuart
24-08-04, 02:27 PM
head work means a ported and polished head, maybe bigger valves etc

looking at a minimum of ?300 for that

a cam starts at about ?130 for a bottom spec one with no uprated bits and can range up to about ?400 as a kit all in with new springs, followers, tappets etc

40's arent cheap to do properlym but you can get bits for bargin prices

look on www.tuning.co.uk (i think) for carb stuff

dunova
24-08-04, 02:30 PM
For a 1.2 it might be better (and a lot cheaper) to go for a weber 32/34 DMTL carb-it will fit straight onto your engine with an inlet manifold from a 1.3 and you'll feel the gains in power

MattNova
24-08-04, 02:36 PM
any ideas where i might be able to get a weber 32/34 DMTL carb from? and how much ould i be looking at for one. you said that it will fit straight onto my car...would i have to change anything else if i got one...or would it fit straight onto my car i.e. just take the old one off and fit the new one????

dunova
24-08-04, 02:41 PM
You will need an inlet manifold from a 1.3 nova (this connects the carb to the engine block e.g the carb sits on top of it) but thats it-you would need it to be setup for your engine though for it to run right. They're not very expensive-i would say ?50 is quite average if not abit cheaper.
If you're looking for abit more power a k&n filter and good exhaust system will help aswell

MattNova
24-08-04, 02:50 PM
well ive got a k&n fiter and a Peco BB2 backbox (couldn't afford the full system. when i have got enough money i AM going to get a manifold from a GSi fitted and a full s/s system. i think that i will get the carb and the inlet manifild for now though and when i have got plent of money saved, get the twin carbs.

cheers for the help.

Matt

Gunzi
25-08-04, 11:45 AM
If you want to look at power up grades you could look into buying a bigger capacity engine, the 1.3 SR has 70bhp std and the gte 100bhp std, both slot into the engine bay, both can be picked up for around ?100 and fitted for around ?200-?300. (depends on where you go) the SR block is carb already so is easier to swop over.

Barn
25-08-04, 12:00 PM
as above, if your going for twin carbs its probably better if you get a bigger capacity engine and fit them to that.

:+:

MechaT
25-08-04, 10:16 PM
I agree. Don't waste twin 40's and alot of cash on a 1.2. You'll likely end up with all of 70bhp - standard 1.3 power.
32/34 DMTL is a much better idea and straight fit too.

Alot of people say 50 quid for some reason. I ain't seen 'em for that much. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places!
Yeah maybe if you happen to find one in a scrappy - then you've gotta get a fitting kit from somewhere and re-jet them.

I reckon second-hand they're closer to the 100 pounds mark for one kitted specifically for the Nova.

Try classifieds in Total Vauxhall, For Sale on here, or ebay.

Barn
27-08-04, 11:49 AM
yeah I only ever saw them for around ?100 when I bought mine...

if you see them for ?50 its likely to be just the carb itself then you would need manifold etc