PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best replacment ignition system and smokey blue...

johnnynova
23-08-04, 06:40 PM
i did an engine transplant last month,

1.4 block
1.2 head
piper 272 cam
weber 32/34 carb
4 branch manifold
strait through system with custom strait through back box
f10 4.18 gearbox :-)

things goes nie, just waiting to get it 100% then get it jetted and set up on a rolling road, the few probs i have are.

1. before reving engine beyond 3000rpm i waited 100miles, but still under heavy acceleration blue smoke comes out the zoorst, so its buring oil, all the head bolts were done upto the correct torque then re-tightened/torqued after the 100 mile bedding in.

any ideas???

2. i want to replace the iginition system and have a rev limiter as im using the poo 1.2 carb one at the mo, which is the best to go for below the ?150 price mark?

cheers
once again

John

j1400
23-08-04, 11:10 PM
Maybe the rings haven't bedded in correctly, a CR test will show that up with the difference between the wet and dry test.
Hope its not cause then new ring time again, maybe read 4-storke engine tuning to see how to run an engin ein correctly.
You maybe lucky, could be a badly fitted stem seal or something.

Stuart
24-08-04, 07:55 AM
100 miles??!?!?!?!?

try running in for 600-1000 miles!

Aragorn
24-08-04, 09:07 AM
its not solely about keeping the revs down

its the LOAD on the engine

if u drive FLAT out upto 3k then change u will fuck it

u need to drive calmly and gently no more than half throttle and upto 3k max for the first 250-500miles for the next 500 u can take it a bit further up the revs to say 4 or 5k but still dont push it really hard

when u get to the end of the running in period SLOWLY open it up, dont wait to 1000miles on the pin then floor it

the weird thing is new car mfr's tell you to drive the car normally when its brand new?? but i dunno if this is because they are run in on the test bench during assembly??

Stuart
24-08-04, 09:23 AM
most new engines are run for a few hours or so on production lines

but driving normally for most people is basically how we'd run an engine in anyway.

johnnynova
24-08-04, 12:55 PM
the e3ngines were 2nd hand, the block had about 70,000miles on it.

wat about ignition, any recommendations?

cheers
John

Stuart
24-08-04, 01:04 PM
if the cam has a pin locator get a 1.4 bosch ign setup.

unless you want to spend a mint on getting mappable ecu lol

robb
24-08-04, 03:42 PM
You can fit a 1.4, prob the same as Cambridge said, to it providing you have the pin hole on cam.

Then just add the dizzy and coil and some wiring.

Really easy to setup and time.

Also very reliable until damp condensation gets in the cap!