PDA

View Full Version : The decision has been made!!!!!!!

BigRuss
23-08-04, 01:21 PM
Don't worry I am not selling the car!! But, I am selling My engine :o :o

Nothing wrong with it, but I've decided to have a 1400 16v built instead, the main reason being that I am driving the tits of the car trying to beat the 1600 16v guys who are in My class on rallies. Generaelly speaking I can mix it with the majority of them but am struggling against the 195+bhp brigade.

My budget can't quite stretch to having a full spec (200bhp) 1600 16v engine built, as I'd also need to fit an F20 box.
But My budget will get Me a pukka spec 1400 16v built (165-170bhp), I could keep My F15 box in the car then too.

It is being built by JRE (John Read engines) in Plymouth, He is producing the most reliable big power engines in rallying at the moment and is a wizard to say the least. The spec will be:-

Steel rods, Omega forged pistons, Pukka ported head, solid lifters, JRE cams, titanium caps, MBE management, but am undecided on Jenvey throttle bodies or twin 45's yet. No more bhp to be had from tb's but would pull better low down. Hoping to see 165-170bhp and will have a useable 8750 rpm :o 8) :lol:

Have My 1600 advertised on here as well as some other bits and pieces but it is also in Wednesdays Motorsport news. I will be telling people who come to see it/have a ride in it that it will not be available untill after Trax. :wink:

So there we are, the future is.................... A smaller engine!!!

But more power 8) :wink:

Stuart
23-08-04, 02:44 PM
hmmmm that will please mark lol

get in with the silly 1.4's ;)

Dai-o
23-08-04, 09:55 PM
new engine sounds like its gunna be awesome

Barn
24-08-04, 10:48 AM
sounds awesome!!

Dai-o
24-08-04, 05:40 PM
any rough prices on the engine ? :o :D

Jim
24-08-04, 07:59 PM
any rough prices on the engine ? :o :D

Hmm, lets Read what Russ has put...

Have My 1600 advertised on here as well as some other bits and pieces

...and low and behold...

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98060

;) :P

Jim

Aragorn
24-08-04, 10:00 PM
interesting that u mention the 40's and tb's producing same power

sbd have a twin 40 kit and a TB kit advertised for my engine (1600 16v)

the 40's claim 140bhp with mbe ignition management
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Carburettor_Kits/CK140_Kit/CK140_Kit.htm

the tb kit claims 165bhp with mbe fuel/ignition
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Taper%20Kits/TP164_Kit/TP164_Kit.htm

no other differences apart from that...

they also do a 160bhp carb kit and a 185bhp tb kit which come with cams pistons etc

the think that threw me is that both kits produce the peak power in the same place (7250rpm iirc) yet the carb kit is 25bhp down??

any ideas?

edit: http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Taper%20Kits/TP134_Kit/TP134_Kit.htm also appears to be a TB kit available producing power more similar to the carb kit however the parts seem to be the same between the 134 and 164 kits??

BigRuss
24-08-04, 10:21 PM
Aragorn,

SBD's power figures are suspect at the best of times to be honest. I am going to be running 45's not 40's though, probably be on 34mm chokes.

The generael rule is the more You spend the more power You get, I would expect more power from tb's on a std engine as a comparison to carb's retaining the std ecu.
I'm going to be running an MBE 967I ecu with the carbs, obviously on a highly modified engine the results between carbs and tb's would be minimal.
I have a budget which I don't want to go over and the extra cost of tb's can't be justified for the gains I'd get. If money was no object I'd have them, but then again I'd have titanium rods and a steel crank then too. I'll just have to make do with My steel rods and Omega pistons :wink:

I am already spending enough now :o Don't tell My Mrs :lol:

Aragorn
24-08-04, 10:52 PM
so what kinda power would i be looking at with a standard engine with SBD 4branch and ashley system (already got these) and either TB's or carbs

im sure the bloke also fiddled with the valve seats when he rebuild the head for me, he mentioned summat about 3 angle seats iirc but i doubt that goes for much

i was hoping for about 150bhp from either carbs or TB's on that engine is this gonna be feasible with those mods?

and it wouldnt be possible to run the carbs on the standard ecu like you suggested, u'd need to use a mappable system like the mbe 967i which is what SBD are supplying with their kits anyway iirc

also would u say 40's or 45's would be better??

cheers

Will
25-08-04, 12:19 AM
shame u didnt sell 4/5 months ago at least if i had brought yours i wud have know it wudnt be smoking like a fuk

you live and learn and then kill ppl that sell u shit when u find them ;)

Ben
25-08-04, 05:00 PM
shame u didnt sell 4/5 months ago at least if i had brought yours i wud have know it wudnt be smoking like a fuk

Or you would have arranged to go and view it 5 times and never turn up :!:

Aragon, you look at a couple of examples of 1.6 16v's...

Dave "Nova X" is only producing 137BHP on a very expensive TB engine.

Miles was producing about 165-170BHP on his TB's and homebuilt engine (not taking anything away by that just shows money dosent buy everything)

Iirc Dicko's engine he built was about 157BHP or similar

Then you look at Dan producing 140ish BHP on his 8v, if he had the same mods on a 16v he would probably be producing a similar figure and if it was 45's then probably releasing a few more HP's.

Weigh it all up, 45's are cheap in relation to TB's.