PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts and ignorance

MattNova
23-08-04, 10:29 AM
Hi all,

Well at the weekend i brought and got fitted a Peco BB2 exhaust backbox, which has a 3" tailpipe, now i might only be the only one who would have thought this...but as i am a bit ignorant to exhausts, i thought that this one might be "quite" loud. but oh no...it sounds exactly the same as before, so now i have just waisted ?145 on a exhaust that sounds no better than the standard one.
anyway when i get my body kit fitted i am going to buy a new one, so could some of you help me out and advise me of an backbox that will make me nova sound beefy and around the ?150 mark if poss.

cheers all
MattNova

srs1
23-08-04, 10:36 AM
you might find it is louder, you can never tell how loud it is from inside the car.

i thought mine was not loud untill chris drove off in it last week.

Col_Mk1
23-08-04, 10:37 AM
that shit that like my peco powermaster is quality 4 sound :lol:

what about sum rear cans or custom exzausht 8)

MattNova
23-08-04, 10:39 AM
well i thought about a custom exhaust, but at the time i realy couldn't afford one. when i get my next i thik that i might go for one, im getting a full system off a Gsi and then a custom backbox. as i only have a 1.2 do you think this is worth doing??

Col_Mk1
23-08-04, 11:01 AM
wel mines only a 1litre and my mates made me a straight frew lmao :lol:

dunova
23-08-04, 11:01 AM
Upgrading to a gsi system would be a good idea (if you're not going to get a s/s full system) and have you got a k&n or pipercross filter? Because they make quite abit of difference to the loudness and tone of the exhaust-they sound so much better-if you haven't got one i'd get one before changing your backbox or system again. Hope that helps :wink:

MattNova
23-08-04, 11:51 AM
yeah it does, i definatly fink im going to get a full system, if i can afford it a s/s. i have got a K n N and you're right it does make a lot of difference in the sound.

cheers all

MattNova

Dpnova
23-08-04, 07:09 PM
you might find it is louder, you can never tell how loud it is from inside the car.

i thought mine was not loud untill chris drove off in it last week.

Mine sounds loud from inside :lol:

Riggy
23-08-04, 07:12 PM
?145 fookin hell there only ?75 at carcraft and there dear :o

Jack
23-08-04, 07:12 PM
Bought a bb2 off a mate for ?30, including his dad fitting it, heh. Sounds a lot better than it did on his SR - same volume than the SR (much louder than standard), but a much nicer noise - and that's on a 1.2 with a crappy K&N.

5_door owner
23-08-04, 08:07 PM
instead of buyin a new backbox later on, if you like the look of your bb2 then why not just take one of the middle box's out as that will make it louder, and it would be cheaper than buyin a new bbox. :+:

J4MES
23-08-04, 09:11 PM
^^^^exactly just wip out the centre silencer!!!!

Mel
23-08-04, 09:57 PM
I had/have a peco BB2 on my fester, and that was bloody loud for what it was :?

Aragorn
23-08-04, 11:45 PM
lol i baught a full ashley system for ?130 delivered

its a 2-box group a rally system

gives off a luvley growl with the 1.6 valver :)

also got one on my bro's 1.2i and its loud too (although its got a decat)

if youve got a CAT fitted that will sap up a LOT of the noise

Barn
24-08-04, 11:24 AM
my full magnex should be quite loud :D

...if you want a 'loud' exhaust mate...I don't think you could get much louder with just a backbox than the 4" Rage one I had on my old SR!

:o used to set car alarms off it was so loud

MattNova
24-08-04, 01:49 PM
lol

i'll look into it.

cheers all for the help

dunova
24-08-04, 03:12 PM
My full magnex sounds beautifull :D
Not just noise and sounds awesome at 3000-4000rpm

Snowface
24-08-04, 03:18 PM
if you want loud get a powerflow back box with 4inch tail peipe like me.

I find it almost too loud. Especially when driving in town and carparks and stuff.

I've set off 3 car alarms with it. 1 inside a multi -storey car park and the other going up the steep hill in high street.

got a sound clip of it if you wanna hear it.

thinking of selling it and getting a magnex or janspeed.

epo
24-08-04, 08:44 PM
i too had full system bb2 on my fester was very loud

i found magnex to be too quite so i removed the back box and front sielencer now it sets off car alarms also added another pipe at the t'other side

MattNova
25-08-04, 08:35 AM
got a sound clip of it if you wanna hear it.

yeah e-mail it me to mazzanova@hotmail.com probs help me decide if it is what i want.

cheers Matt

MechaT
25-08-04, 11:00 PM
BB2 is bollocks. Well dissapointed with mine. May as well stick a 20 quid tail-trim on. It looks just as tacky. Haven't changed it yet cuz i don't want to waste money on things that won't make my car go faster. Anyway T40's more than make up for it!

Try and find a Pace one. 100 quid and sounds the muttz nutz. Not too loud but really meaty and serious. Used to get lots of looks but for the right reasons!

Adam
25-08-04, 11:22 PM
I have a twin pipe powerflow on my astra, and it is not loud to me at all, at idle and low revs is nice and rumbling, but at mid throttle/high throttle it doesn't seem to produce a noise(sounds like the standard pipe), and thats a twin pipe on my 60bhp astra.
I bought it second hand and the bloke i got it off must have had it built by powerflow so that it was made quiet.
But i can't hear mine inside the car, i wanna see what it sounds like when it drives past you but i can't drive it yet(bloody driving test :wink: )
It may sound louder out on the road. I hope so anyway.
Anyway
You paid ?145 for a BB2, a mate picked one up off ebay for a ?5(it only had one bid,LOL), and it was pretty loud when fitted, you could tell the difference between that and the standard exhaust. It was worth the ?5 anyway.
Are you sure it is fully sealed and tightly clamped onto the mid pipe, as when i fitted my box the first time it was blowing at the join, so i wacked it on with a hammer and it did make it slightly louder.

SNOWFACE-Can you send me that sound clip
stubbzy969@btopenworld.com
I would like to hear it, cheers mate.

Adam
25-08-04, 11:30 PM
Also, may be a stupid question but would an exhaust sound any different to revving when not moving, and flooring it when moving. If it would then that could be my answer. :lol:

MattNova
26-08-04, 08:03 AM
yeah it does sound different when reving/ not movin. it sould be tclamped on properally, cuz the place i brought it from fitted it for free, and i have had a breif look and it seems fine. i dont know if its just the fact that i have had a k&n on for a while and that makes a lot of difference to the sound at high revs. if i dint have one then it would probs be diffrent. duno :? cheers

Alpine99
26-08-04, 08:22 AM
wel mines only a 1litre and my mates made me a straight frew lmao :lol:

my old 1.0 with a stright through and BB4 back box was stupidly load!
and it used to "pop" up the gears to lol :lol:

dan_mk1
26-08-04, 11:08 AM
Your fault really, shouldnt have bought a peco.....

Dpnova
26-08-04, 11:15 AM
LOL the peco sounds ok on your clio dan

dan_mk1
26-08-04, 11:37 AM
Fuck you bitch! a peco system is never going near any of my cars...ever! lol
And its authentic magnex for the clio :wink: :lol: