PDA

View Full Version : Are vernier pulleys really necessary?

dunova
22-08-04, 01:27 PM
Hi, just wondering if vernier pully's are really worth having, a lot of people just have them set at 0 degrees so there's no point in having one surely?Just wondering if i can save myself some cash :D

mowgli
22-08-04, 01:33 PM
unless trying to extract that last 1/4 hp is your goal, then it is possibly not much use.

dunova
22-08-04, 01:37 PM
Yeah thats what i thought, so i'll just stick to the cam.
I think most people get them coz it sounds good

5door_racer
22-08-04, 06:32 PM
i read they can make a difference if you had your head skimmed. i had bout a millimetre skimmed off mine, thinking bout getting one

J4MES
22-08-04, 06:45 PM
it all depends on what state of tune the engine is, mildly tuned engine there probably not worth it...

dunova
22-08-04, 08:13 PM
Well by the time i've finished it'll be a 1650, re-built, re-ground crank, lightened and balanced bottom end, head work, cam, twin 40's etc
So maybe a vernier pulley would be a good idea-but i know people that have done a lot of work and still have there vernier set to 0 degrees!

j1400
23-08-04, 12:18 AM
verniers are good when you run a aftermarket cam, as they arent always bang on with a std cam pulley, the verniner allows you to set peak lift DTB to gain max performance from the cam. Ppl only have them set to 0degrees if they haven't had the engine timed.

Dan
23-08-04, 12:30 AM
wrong lol, mine is set at zero as its where it compliments the engines components the most, it is modified to a fair rate and if it isnt tuned right then it performs amazingly for bad settings lol.

Verniers are very useful for most aftermarket cams, but there is the exception. the only reason i actually have one is that i have tried a 270/285 and 296 cam in my quest to get the car how i like it, the first 2 cams did benefit from one

S_Gault
23-08-04, 06:23 PM
verniers are useful for any cam! if you want the cam timing set to what the engine wants then they are a must.

if you s=kim head etc, then it retaids timing, so helps here alone.. swing it on the rollers and you'll see the difference it makes.

Vauxhall engines are really sticky for cam timing.. a recent rallyx nova i had in, changed 24hp from just being set properly.

Let me put it like this-- would you buy a TV and not tune it in?.. cam timing is the same.

Steven