PDA

View Full Version : brake pedal going to the floor

dunova
22-08-04, 01:24 PM
I've just fitted some astra gte discs and calipers and a new brake master cyliner. Its pressurising now but the pedal goes to the floor when the lines are un-clamped. Do i just need to strip the calipers and clean them up?its the calipers that are the problem, the master cylinder went when i bled them so i got a new one so it has to be the calipers. Anyone got any advice?Any suggestions appreciated. thanks in advance

mowgli
22-08-04, 01:30 PM
get a pressure bleed kit, the nova brakes are sods for retaining air in the lines.

dunova
22-08-04, 01:33 PM
So you think air has built up in the calipers?Because the lines are fine, when they are clamped they pressurise okay

dan-hipgrave
22-08-04, 04:48 PM
After i changed the disks and callipers on my car the pedal went right to the floor, and still continued to do it after i had bled the system. Turned out that there was a couple of brass washers in the callipers that had fallen out during assembly, and was causing this..

Aragorn
22-08-04, 05:44 PM
if its not pressurising with the lines unclamped then its air in the caliper piston chamber

this means youve not bled them properly or that uve got the calipers upside down ;)

bleed nipples should be at the top :P

dunova
22-08-04, 08:15 PM
cheers guys i'll check it out-i'm sure both calipers couldn't of fooked up!

Jules
22-08-04, 11:13 PM
Like Aragon said - make sure the calipers aren't on the wrong sides (upside down) - the bleed nipples need to be at the top so the air can rise and be bled out, if they are at the bottom then the air will rise and the peddle will go to the floor when pressed - try pressing the pedal up and down continuously - if the peddle stiffens up then it's more than likely your problem.
I had the same with my V6 calipers - I felt a idiot when I was told what I'd done wrong!!
:oops:

dunova
23-08-04, 09:51 AM
Well they've been left pressurised over the whole weekend and they've started to come to life! They're on the right way up, i think they just need a good over-haul and clean up and they should be fine. Cheers for the guys

dunova
23-08-04, 09:53 AM
There should've been a "help" inbetween 'the' and 'guys', oops :oops:

Jim
23-08-04, 09:57 PM
Ive had to bleed the brakes 3 times on my car so far. The brakes were only put on a couple of weeks ago, but there was air in the system. I might bleed them again soon.

Jim