PDA

View Full Version : Dials Question

sTuDeNt
21-08-04, 05:55 PM
Guys how do i take the niddle of the speedo??? I have looked at it but have no idea! And i do not want to brake it!

Just got dials of SRi with lockwood white dials from scrappy! Charged me ?10.00, thought thats nice!!! :)

Hope now it will work!
I have taken it of Mk1 and it had two extra wires soldered to it? Have no idea what they are and will it work on mine one! :?:

Thanks!

Al Wilson
21-08-04, 06:32 PM
Thought it's just held on with a pin isn't it? Been a while since I removed mine. Was a MK1.

sTuDeNt
21-08-04, 06:42 PM
Cheers I will take a closer look then!

I found what those wires are, one for rev counter the other one is the oil pressure!

Now where the hell to the go on the wiring loom??? :?:

:o

Al Wilson
21-08-04, 06:51 PM
Made a custom one mate. Made all the wires black so its a nightmare to trace them now lol!

sTuDeNt
21-08-04, 06:54 PM
Mate I still cant work out how the hell this pin on the niddle works to take it out! :)

:roll: :lol:

Al Wilson
21-08-04, 06:57 PM
Er, can you take a pic? I really can't remember mate it was 2 years ago I last saw mine!

m.d.
21-08-04, 07:07 PM
the one closest to the middle of the clocks is the oil pressure and the one to one of the corners is for the rev counter,

rev counter goes to the negative side of the coil and the oil pressure switch goes to the second push on type spade connector on the switch on the back of the engine block (you may have to get the swich if you do not have the right connections

sTuDeNt
21-08-04, 07:14 PM
Have a look!

http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/1954big2.jpg

Al Wilson
21-08-04, 07:18 PM
By looking at it doesn't it just pop off? Its a tight fit and just pushed on? Don't rely on that 100% though. It can't be too complticated because Vauxhall had to put it together so there has to be a reverse. Have you looked in Haynes?

sTuDeNt
21-08-04, 07:20 PM
No yet. I really much doubt that they will tell you how to take needle of the speedo. :)

I just dont want to break it!

:)

Al Wilson
21-08-04, 07:22 PM
Haynes manuels used to tell you EVERYTHING. They don't anymore, not as in depth as they used to be.

sTuDeNt
21-08-04, 07:24 PM
Very true! Very true!!!

Got cocky i think :))

Snowface
21-08-04, 08:05 PM
neddle just pulls off. Get your thingers under it like your pinching it then it just slides off the needle.

Thats how both my dials are anyway.

The 2 wires for the sender unit... You say the extra wire on the unit goes to the spade on the back of clocks nearest to middle. Ok.

But what about the other wire on sender unit. Does the standard wire/connector just plug into it?

Nick
21-08-04, 09:53 PM
yer, the needle just prises off, if it's not coming off easily they may have loctited it on or something when the white dials were put on.

Get a blade or a knife or a screwdriver that only just fits under the space between the needle rim and the clock face and wrap the end of your impliment in electrical tape, this will stop you from marking the face of your dials as much, then try levering it off.

it should jst pop off, i'm doing it now on my old clocks i got infront of me !

sTuDeNt
22-08-04, 01:06 AM
Ok guys! Sorted! Finally glued the lockwood dials together properly! However got a qusteion! How the hell do i put all the needles back so they give correct reading then??? :o :o :o

Snowface
22-08-04, 10:38 AM
answer = you should have thought of that before u took them off lol.

Should of marked them. I think u can pull the stopper out where the needle rests so that you can put a mark where it returns to.

sTuDeNt
22-08-04, 11:01 AM
Ok yeah! I should have thought of it, well I did not so what the hell am i suposed to do now LOL!

Snowface
24-08-04, 02:38 PM
buy another set or fit the needle and get a mate to drive at 30mph while you follow. then you can see how much offset yours is and adjust it.

robb
24-08-04, 03:51 PM
You are supposed to mark them when you remove them, kinda prise it up bit and put two marks on, one in needle direction and 90 deg from that and remember so you know if it has turned slightly from 0mph.

failing that get another, attatch a drill to (cordless pref) to speedo cable and run it flat out, take a note of speed and then do it to the other just put the needle on when flat out. At least your speedo is correct then!

sTuDeNt
24-08-04, 04:57 PM
I have sorted it! Got my friend to drive behind me! We started of 30 then 40 then 50 then 60 etc till 90 100. On my 80 she had 72 on my 90 she had 82. Took it all apart agin, turned the ring behing speedo so the needle shows 80 held it there, took needle of and put it on 72! Sorted! :)

Riggy
24-08-04, 05:41 PM
lol the lockwood dials fit right over the needle you dont have to take it off lol :D

Snowface
24-08-04, 05:44 PM
ah good.

but is your friends speedo accurate? lol, only kidding.