View Full Version : steering? braking? suspension? i dont know???

race-more
19-08-04, 08:13 PM
can anyone help or had experinced of this before....
there are a number of symptons:

1, under braking the steering wheel judders from side to side and the harder i brake the hasher the juddering comes.

2, when i drive a flat level road there is no steering judder but soon as i drive an up or down slope the steering wheel again gentle judders.

3, when driving a bumpy road (which is all roads when the cars lowered 60mm) there is a knocking from the near side, but i cant determine where from.

4, and just to put the cat amongst the pigeons! the juddering comes Intermittently.

Ive had the wheels balanced, changed the track rod end ball joints, had new gas shocks and all new suspension top assembly. The bottom ball joints are fine. Ive not had the tracking done but the car drive straight as an arrow under accelleration and braking. Im starting to think control arm bushes??? Could they cause this?

Any light any1 can shed on this would be greatly appreciated as its really starting to bovver me :x :?:

the cars an sr lowered 6omm on 15, 195s

Philsutton
19-08-04, 08:27 PM
, under braking the steering wheel judders from side to side and the harder i brake the hasher the juddering comes
with juddering under braking i'd say warped disks but if its doing it at other times you may have some other problems which to be hinest could be a number of things

Jim
19-08-04, 10:41 PM
Is the camber set up correctly on both wheels? Juddering under braking sounds like warped disks. Check the bumpstops are in place on both shocks. Mine makes a knocking noise, but i have no bumpstops.

Jim

nam
19-08-04, 11:13 PM
Is the camber set up correctly on both wheels? Juddering under braking sounds like warped disks. Check the bumpstops are in place on both shocks. Mine makes a knocking noise, but i have no bumpstops.

Jim

what he said^^^^

rgv_stu
20-08-04, 09:18 AM
as ive had this on 3 novas i wuld guess ....

its the holes that mount the wishbone on have elongated / bolts worn or both.

you cant notice it until you take off the wishbone as its all to tight to move unless under a fair bit of load.

Stuart
20-08-04, 11:27 AM
i noticed that the holes go egg shaped.

with mine i drilled holes in some hefty steel plate and then welsed them inplace to take over the job of the worn holes

race-more
20-08-04, 07:29 PM
cheers people, slowly getting there....

been to the trouble of removing the discs off a mates nova and swapping them on to mine (his where fine) but still there was judder. also checked the shocks for bump stops and they where present.

so next is the control arm bolt and hole.. but that?s for 2mora now. if the holes are worn is it possible to get new control arm mount pivots or are they, as appears in Haynes part of the chassis?

I which case ill have to get them welded. cambridge did you weld plate both sides of the pivot and how?d you fix urs rgv_stu?

rgv_stu
23-08-04, 12:37 PM
first time welded the hole up and redrilled it

second time got some fat washers and welded them on