PDA

View Full Version : nova camber using golf bolts?

Benn
19-08-04, 08:00 PM
as my nova's off the road i wanna sort the camber out,
and i've been told that u can do something with golf top mount bolts of something?
any info?
ben

mowgli
19-08-04, 09:43 PM
I've only played with mk1 golfs & it was a long time ago, but basically, the mk1 golf front strut is very similar to the nova, and the golf is adjustable for camber. the way it works is that the top bolt (where the strut fits to the hub carrier) has a washer with an offset hole. this can be adjusted to suit the camber & the bolt is then tightened.... I think the new adjustable strut top method (demon tweaks etc...) would be a more reliable option because there is no chance of it moving once adjusted.

CP
19-08-04, 10:20 PM
Ask Cambridge - hes fiddled with it

dathers
21-08-04, 07:47 PM
I've only played with mk1 golfs & it was a long time ago, but basically, the mk1 golf front strut is very similar to the nova, and the golf is adjustable for camber. the way it works is that the top bolt (where the strut fits to the hub carrier) has a washer with an offset hole. this can be adjusted to suit the camber & the bolt is then tightened.... I think the new adjustable strut top method (demon tweaks etc...) would be a more reliable option because there is no chance of it moving once adjusted.
Id say the golf bolt method would be better,there is no chance of the bolts moving if you do them up to the correct torque with a torque wrench.
Cant remember the exact values but theese shock to hub carrier bolts are done up pretty damn tight.
If VW thought it was ok,IT IS.
Dave

mowgli
22-08-04, 01:20 PM
Wherever there is a 12mm hole and a 10mm bolt in it, there is always a chance it will move. When it is on suspension, I think it has even more chance for problems to occur.
The reason VW probably used it was that their quality control is not as good as their publicity & they needed to adjust them in the factory.

My partner had 2 golfs and I had to keep mending them. I don't trust a car that can lift its inside rear wheel 2ft during cornering.

Ste_Nova
22-08-04, 01:51 PM
i prefer adjusting the lower arm.... as that is the item thats at fault

novashed
22-08-04, 05:57 PM
i prefer adjusting the lower arm.... as that is the item thats at fault

do you mean via rose jointing them?

rodgerq
22-08-04, 09:45 PM
RJ the bottom arms or elongatye the two holes further back towards the inside of the car and move the bolts back, brigin the bottom of the wheel in. maybe even weld on washers to make the hole round again to stop is shifting

rodgerq

TWAG
22-08-04, 10:49 PM
Phone up demon tweeks and order a camber adjustment kit for a corsa gsi, it costs ?35 inc postage.

Ive just fitted these to my nova and it does the job spot on. It consists of two bolts each with a small cam on them and a couple of special washers.

Also comes with instruction. No modifications required, just replaces the top bolt that holds the strut to the hub, with the camber ones.

If you want the part number im sure i can dig it out.

rodgerq
22-08-04, 10:58 PM
twag, are these not the same as the golf ones?

as an alternative, look here :D

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=144795&goto=newpost

rodgerq