PDA

View Full Version : second amp causing overheating?

smiggy
19-08-04, 10:44 AM
ok, heres the set up, i have an splxmf800 4 channel amp(yes zug i know it's crap), 1 mosfet 2 chanel amp, 2 6x9, 1 double bass box .
the head unit has 2 outputs (rca, phono whatever you wanna call them), 1 front 1 rear
at present, the splx amp is running the box with 2 bass units in, 4 channels bridged to 2, this is fed by the rear rca from head unit,
the front rca feeds the other amp running the 6x9's
when wired this way after a while the splx amp is red hot, poss cutting out now and then, i have move it from upside down on the parcel shelf to on its side on the back of the seats, still happens, one suggestion is that the rca's going straight to diff amps is my problem,have to admit, took the second amp out and was fine, but was running 6x9's off 2 channels and subs off other 2, not pushing it so much?all suggestions other than crap amp welcome( hate people stating the obvious), think i covered the whole set up, any ideas?

srs1
19-08-04, 10:52 AM
where are the amps located?

have you got an fuse block, not just from the battery but one to seperate the power supply to the amps, it sounds like you haven't done this and too much power is getting to the amp causing it to over heat

LANKYPASS
19-08-04, 01:36 PM
have you got your gain all the way up on the amp ??? if so then this is the problem.have it running at about just over half way and see if it works. splx amps are cracking i have witnessed but they dont like to be pushed !!

hope this helps

smiggy
19-08-04, 02:49 PM
each supply is fused, the gain is just above halveway, putting it on its side may have helped, looking on the bright side i dont need to use the rear demister i have also blocked all the ports on the box but the one blowing onto the amp, seems to be helping too

Adam
19-08-04, 08:39 PM
Amps shouldn't be out upside down, based on the principles of heat, it rises, how can the amp lose heat if the heat is going back onto the amp.
Put the amp flat and don't push it too hard, as already said SPLX amps are alright in my opinion, as a budget option, they perform decently, but there is a narrow line between working fine and going up in flames.
Try turning the gain down to see if it helps.