PDA

View Full Version : Breaks Question/Problem

sTuDeNt
18-08-04, 10:59 PM
Right!

Its a wiered one!

My breaks are fine and they have passed MOT and work well. However, I have some strange thing happening to it.

When I drive forward and then use breaks they go smooth and no probs, but, when I reverse and press breaks they do not work smooth. What happens is that it starts to break and then produces this knock, just like you hit something. It only happens once and not every turn of the wheel. Its just as you start to break! Little knock and then its all smooth, release it and try to break again, does exectly the same!

I have a feeling its the right drum, that does it, but I can be wrong.

Can some one explain whats going on!?

Cheers

sTuDeNt
19-08-04, 07:25 PM
I can not believe noone can answer me this one..... :(

-Bruce-
19-08-04, 07:29 PM
not really sure mate, see if your brake caliper bolts ar on tight!! caliper could be loose? but you think its from the back. not sure mate

bruce

Stuart
19-08-04, 08:15 PM
loose suspension, dodgy engine mount or loose wheel nuts

mowgli
19-08-04, 09:49 PM
I would guess your rear brakes are shot.
New drums (& wheel bearings) + shoes.

Slacken off the handbrake cable first & strip the self (now theres a joke) adjusters. give them a good clean & copper grease them. fit them back on, having wound the adjusters up till the drums only just turn by hand. then re-do the handbrake.

or maybe a caliper slider is worn?

CP
19-08-04, 10:45 PM
Mowglis right. Can also be loose caliper bolts at the front but rears most likely culprit - look there 1st