PDA

View Full Version : Seized Caliper!!

un1eash
18-08-04, 10:29 PM
I brought some new calipers from a scrap yard today for my TD nova today as the old ones didnt have bleed valves and my brakes needed bleeding. I fitted them without any real problems but the drivers side seized right up and started smoking. I took it of checked it and put it back on and it seized again.
Is this a faulty caliper?? Can you strip the caliper down and clean it out or do i need a new one??

Cheers!!

retrosi
18-08-04, 11:31 PM
you can buy a caliper slider repair kit from vaux for 14.10 cost about 30 quid retail. This should solve your prob.

madcodling
19-08-04, 11:20 AM
it sounds like u have something wrong with the piston on the caliper it might be stuck

robb
19-08-04, 04:58 PM
You bought brakes from a scrappy and didn't rebuild and clean them!!!!!!!

It will be the piston or sliders, take it all off and remove all parts for cleaning, replace any broken or exessively worn parts.

epo
19-08-04, 06:15 PM
on my gte i had probs with me calipers sticking i kept rebuilding them but it never worked so got the slider repair kit and was sound after that

_JH_
19-08-04, 08:38 PM
there is a rubber ring round the middle of the sliders. bin it. its half the problem on old calipers, plenty of copper grease will do.

also clean the slider bore out. change any dust seals that are perished or split and clean the piston thoroughly. clean the bore, but be careful not to damage it.

replace the pad retaining pins too.

Matt2107
21-08-04, 07:55 PM
i just brought some front calipers for ?35 each

:P :P :P