View Full Version : How do i make my Exhaust Quieter ?

Nick
18-08-04, 01:59 PM
Just got a Powerflow system put on, got it second hand, it's essetially the back box and a straight pipe that cutts the middle silencer out. I had to cutt a recess into the bumper so the tail pipe would fit out well.

i got one problem, i live at the bottom of a hill on a bit of a posh road and people are goign to complain ! - especially when i go up the hill,

anyone got any tips on how to make it a bit quieter ?

i thought of just bunging a sock in the tailpipe everytime i leave my house as that'd silence it up till i got up the hill, then take it out n drive off ?

or is the best bet to cutt down the original pipe with the silencer on it and bung it back on with jst the back box ?

basically i've ruined the back bumper if i have to take it off !

Stuart
18-08-04, 02:07 PM
demon tweeks sellshort term use "clipon" sildencers to put on the end of your system to make race day noise regs. this could be an option. as the sock would jsut get blown out lo

epo
18-08-04, 07:56 PM
move house :lol:

cant you just wait to see if any one complains first you might find there alright about it

no one has complained about my exhaust
(mind you if they did id probably give em a load of abuse)
and ive got no sielences on mine
to me as longs as your not booting it up and down the road at silly hours of the night\morning there is nothing they can do :?

id just leave it be

failin that fit another silencer

Al Wilson
18-08-04, 08:58 PM
I am always coming home at unsociable hours but no one has said anything. I've had people say they'd protect it for me if anyone attacked it and I wasn't there!

nam
18-08-04, 09:09 PM
I am always coming home at unsociable hours but no one has said anything. I've had people say they'd protect it for me if anyone attacked it and I wasn't there!

lol@I've had people say they'd protect it for me if anyone attacked it and I wasn't there! its a walking talking alarm :D

Nick
18-08-04, 09:51 PM
hmmm

"wait untill you get a complaint"

Hmmmm.... police came round my house today in an armed response unit, only fitted it this morning !

apparently they had complaint from an anonamous person about my manner of driving and trhe noise from my car

and i got stopped the day before by a police man saying that he wants to crack down on people like me cos he thinks i was doing doughnuts through the main street of a local village,

sounds like a bullshit accusation !

hmm, i reckon the only thing is to weld a silencer into the middle pipe ?

dan-hipgrave
18-08-04, 09:55 PM
:o armed response unit, thats quite funny really, that they went to all that trouble over a loud car.

Get one of them trackday silencers fitted mate - should keep them off your back.

Jim
18-08-04, 10:26 PM
If you live in a posh place, chances are one of them has a TVR, when he goes rumbling past put a complaint in, lol.

Seriously though, if you dont want the hassle, maybe get a standard exhaust with just an aftermarket tailpipe. It wont sound loud, but the tailpipe will make it look a little better than a standard system.

Jim

MechaT
18-08-04, 10:33 PM
he thinks i was doing doughnuts through the main street of a local village,

Doughnuts?! It's front wheel drive!! Sounds like the village idiot has nothing better to do. What a wanker. :roll:
That's the problem with living in a village - backward yokels

Matt Nova
19-08-04, 12:47 AM
i've had complaints about mine and i've only got a backbox inc my silencers. I just keep it in a high gear and don't rev it. It takes the pi*s when i'm parkin as i'm nearly stallin it to keep it quiet lol

Aragorn
19-08-04, 01:53 AM
if it was me i'd just drive all the way up the hill in 1st

i'd be pretty sure the police cant prosecute from a complaint

they have no real evidence

5door_racer
19-08-04, 01:56 AM
Same here, my neighbours always used to winge bout the noise. As long as you stick the speed limit they can't do f**k all!!

whitty_nova_1300sr
19-08-04, 02:02 AM
i had next door say it was 2 loud and they got the middle finger and a fuck off. the thing tht pissed me off is tht there 2 sons have got the same as me :evil: :evil:

n e way the old bill cant do n e thing unless they have a noise meter and its iva the reg but th ant tht often they do lol

ENGLISH PLEASE!!!!!!! admin

Alpine99
19-08-04, 09:00 AM
sod em! get rid of the back box also :twisted:

epo
19-08-04, 05:10 PM
hmmm

"wait untill you get a complaint"

Hmmmm.... police came round my house today in an armed response unit, only fitted it this morning !

apparently they had complaint from an anonamous person about my manner of driving and trhe noise from my car

and i got stopped the day before by a police man saying that he wants to crack down on people like me cos he thinks i was doing doughnuts through the main street of a local village,

sounds like a s**t accusation !

hmm, i reckon the only thing is to weld a silencer into the middle pipe ?

have the old bill tod you to take it off tho or was it just a warning :?:

robb
19-08-04, 05:25 PM
I live in a village full of "yokels" and they are fine till one day someone moved in and the complaints were flying, (we also ride around the village on mini motos, cheaper on fuel and more fun :lol:). We have now got a copper letting a house next door to the complainer!

Although that was 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything yet.

P.S. get a GSi or GTE system and put a micron on it, lurvly!

Matt Nova
20-08-04, 12:34 AM
P.S. get a GSi or GTE system and put a ?micron? on it, lurvly![/quote]

what's a micron? sorry for bein thick :roll:

robb
20-08-04, 03:28 PM
Its a bike exhaust.

Mine is foot long 5"wide with a straight 2" rolled exit.

body and end piece is aluminium and the clamp to system is mild steel.

Nick
20-08-04, 09:58 PM
it was a warning really, they can't do feck all cos it's not illegal, mit just goes really really rasspy at certain revs. sounds mint tho....

gonna get a Ashely silencer which apparerntly will cutt it down alot and get that clamped in between my orignial front pipe to the manfiold and the new middle pipe.

Al Wilson
21-08-04, 06:37 PM
If you live in a posh place, chances are one of them has a TVR, when he goes rumbling past put a complaint in, lol.

Jim

Does Chigwell count? lol The average car is a AMG Merc or X bloody 5. :lol:

Adam
21-08-04, 07:37 PM
You want to quiten your backbox, i wanna make mine on my astra louder, its a twin pipe and isn't loud at all. :lol:
Anyone got any tips to make it louder, would removing the CAT make it louder.

Matt2107
21-08-04, 07:47 PM
sod the rich gits.....

seriously tho, the best way to do it is make a leaflet saying I apologise for the loud noise as i drive up the hill but sod you i love modified novas...

just kidding.