PDA

View Full Version : Welding Exhaust!

sTuDeNt
16-08-04, 08:53 PM
How difficult would it be to weld a pipe instead of my middle silencer? And what do i do to make sure there is no leaks? Never done spot welding before! Done a bit of arc. :)

Philsutton
17-08-04, 11:18 AM
you dont want to spot weld the pipe in anyway, it wants welding all the way round so that its sealed. If you can weld then its not a hard job.

sTuDeNt
17-08-04, 12:26 PM
Can I spot weld all the way around?

Stuart
17-08-04, 12:44 PM
just weld all round it, much like spot, but properly!!!

srs1
17-08-04, 12:56 PM
you have to weld ALL the way around to stop any leaks.
spot weld if you want, but come mot time, expect a fail. and you'll have to weld all the way around. do the job once only.

sTuDeNt
17-08-04, 02:03 PM
I did not get it? Why would it fail if it doesnt have any leaks or it will fail just because its spot welded? Or shall i just do it with arc weld then! And i did mean spot weld all the way around!

Stuart
17-08-04, 02:20 PM
i have no idea why you want to just spot weld all the way round. thats just for tacking it up. you then run the arc/mig all the way round to seal/secure it

sTuDeNt
17-08-04, 03:13 PM
Is there are anyone here who wishes to help me weld me exhaus by letting me use their welder for an hour? PLEASE! :)

Its a bit of a problem really, becuase I have no idea where to get my hands on arc or mig one.... Any ideas?

srs1
17-08-04, 04:56 PM
hss hire shop maybe!

sTuDeNt
17-08-04, 05:19 PM
They will charge fortune!!! :)

M11rf
17-08-04, 06:05 PM
New exhaust?

epo
17-08-04, 06:54 PM
pop along to an exaust place near u if its mild steel and ask them how much
it only cost me ?20 from powerflow and that was stainless steel on mine

_JH_
17-08-04, 07:07 PM
I think I get what you mean.

you wanna do a series of spot welds as your not confident enough to do a continuous seam in one go. fair enough, but unless your exhaust is fairly new you'll struggle as a novice welder not to mess it up. incidently, if it is a bit old a series of spot welds is the best way to go.

and for those of you that don't actually weld and are recycling info you've read on here or MIG, (not aimed at anyone in particular before dummies fly across the room) it is possible to do a series of spot welds to form a seam, which would not leak and would pass the MOT. I and many mates have done it loads when doing awkward chassis/body welds.

as for a welder, buy one. it'll last years if looked after and will always come in handy.

sTuDeNt
17-08-04, 09:40 PM
Cheers guys!

Zoolander, thats what i exectly meant about spot welding, just doing a series of spots!

I might have to buy one!

cheers!!!

robb
18-08-04, 10:26 AM
I got a BOC migmaster 130A MIG from ebay,

was only down the road so I bought it for ?70

It has had numerous reels through it, couple of bottles and is still going strong. Go buy one.