PDA

View Full Version : central locking

Divaldo
15-08-04, 10:40 AM
how hard is it to fit central locking to a 1.2 nova?

dan-hipgrave
15-08-04, 10:47 AM
i bought one of the microscan universal central locking kits and it was very easy to fit.

It was just a case of mounting the solenoids in the doors and running the loom they give you from each solenoid to a black control box that you can mount behind the dash, and giving it a live and an earth.

It worked first time without fail, but seems to have broken now after 6 months of using it :(

Divaldo
15-08-04, 11:04 AM
how much would some1 charge to fit them?

dan-hipgrave
15-08-04, 11:07 AM
dunno mate, probably more than the kit costs if my local garage's prices are anything to go by (they charge 40 an hour - fitting is probably gonna be 2 hours at most).

It isnt that hard to fit it yourself, it comes with comprehensive instructions and wiring is basically just matching colour for colour.

General Baxter
15-08-04, 11:07 AM
really not that hard mate, you can do it with in about 1-2hours

not worth having somebody do it for you!

they come with easy to follow instuctions

Divaldo
15-08-04, 11:10 AM
im a bit of a novice when it comes to things like this, jus dont wanna fuck things up.

General Baxter
15-08-04, 11:13 AM
thats what fuses are for :lol:

Divaldo
15-08-04, 11:16 AM
no i mean ive never even attempted to fit anything like this b4.

dan-hipgrave
15-08-04, 11:35 AM
neither had i mate, it was one of the first jobs i did when i got my nova...the hardest part was probably mounting the solenoids so that they went up and down ok. Overall its an easy job, and shouldnt take a complete novice more than 3 hours.

novaboy1981
15-08-04, 12:39 PM
i say go for it mate!
its just a case of getting in there and trying these things, there really isnt much u can damage in a nova!

Adam
15-08-04, 07:49 PM
thats what fuses are for :lol:Dead right.

Have a go mate, you probably think its hard but when you actually try it its easy, i though i was gonna really stuggle trying to get a backbox fitted to my MK3 astra, but with a bit of common sense i got it fitted perfectly.
I am gonna install electric windows and central locking in my astra.
DAN HIPGRAVE/ Was your microscan kit for 4 doors or two, i am only gonna have a go for 4 doors, don't see the point of only have it work on two doors on a four door car.

Mel
15-08-04, 10:28 PM
do it. Even for a girl, i found it easy :wink:

kit cost ?40ish, took me a couple hours to do (even when i cant use a drill very well) and the outcome is great :)

i did struggle a lil with gettin the solenoid in the correct place, but that was cause it was pissing down with rain, and about 7pm at night, when it was dark (car went in for alarm next day, and i wasnt paying extra for them to fit it) :lol:

btw, mine was a microscan universasl thingy, and also a 1.2 :wink:

Potswalker
16-08-04, 08:21 AM
fitted a couple now but even the first one is well straight forward. cost me ?20 both times. always worth a try. can't do any lasting damage. :lol:

Al Wilson
16-08-04, 11:15 AM
thats what fuses are for :lol:

Story of my life! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Riggy
16-08-04, 05:27 PM
or for a cheaper way to do it (but you cany remote it )

go to a brakers and get the solonoids fron a volvo 340 and as much wire as you can get (2 wireson the passenger -1green 1 yellow) (4 wires on the drivers (1 green -1 yellow -1 brown -1red) fit the solonoids the same way as you would any others at the botom of the door -for a rod to the locking pin you can use a bike spoke with the hook bit which goes to the bike hub at the solonoid (perfect fit) and connect to the door pin useing a connector block - then all that is left is the wires the green and yellow connect to each other and the red and brown are live and earth respectively :D