PDA

View Full Version : Rear sticky brakes...

broody
15-08-04, 12:00 AM
when i park my car and put hand brake one and then leave it for ages and come back to set off, the REAR brakes are stuck, and i have to keep accelerating forwards and backwards to make it CLICK and release it.

What can the cause of this be?

Divaldo
15-08-04, 09:35 AM
mine did this the other week, i replaced the pads but was told that they had just seised up.

General Baxter
15-08-04, 10:03 AM
i think they just stick, something to do with the springs

lol

moving my sisters saloon is funny, i dont move for about every 6 months, who said 1L could not wheel spin :lol:

un1eash
18-08-04, 10:33 PM
the brake cylinder is leeking, the brake fluid reacts with the pads making them stick. it will eventually happen again if u just replaced the pads, really u need a new cylinder which cost bout 8 pound.

Aragorn
19-08-04, 01:57 AM
prolly simpler than that...

think of how your front disks go when they are wet - ie rusty

the rear drums will go the same way, so your driving home in the rain, stop and apply the handbrake, shoes rust onto the drum meaning u need to break it off

5door_racer
19-08-04, 02:03 AM
Divaldo's probably right saying they seized up. Mine did the opposite and wouldn't break properly. do a full service on the rear brakes replacing pads, cylinders tec. as needed. this should solve the problem

Stuart
19-08-04, 08:16 AM
i never knew rear drums had pads

it tends to happen every year in the wet with most novas unless your driving them on a regular basis

changed the shoes, springs and copper grease all the bits haynes says.

they should be ok for atleast one "season"

rgv_stu
19-08-04, 11:20 AM
cleaning all the dust out seems to be the main fix

robb
19-08-04, 04:57 PM
Mine did this....

turned out to be a leaky wheels cylinder....

Just as Aragorn said and all was ignored.

It can also be a case of rusting slightly when wet, try using the handbrake while still rolling before applying it for parking to take off moisture.

broody
19-08-04, 11:54 PM
well replaced the cylinder anyway and also the SHOES(for you cambridge) and found out i got wrong SHOES(for you cambridge) :@

SO will have a go on saturday!