PDA

View Full Version : Welding?

nam
14-08-04, 10:43 PM
right i am looking in to getting a new rear arch on my car and i know i can get the arch for less than ?20, i was just wondering how much i am looking at to get it welded in? i want a price base on a 10 out of 10 job.

thanks in advance

Alex

nam
15-08-04, 10:55 AM
i am also looking at putting a new battery tray in as well. how much woud that be to get welded in to a high standard???

ANYONE???

nam
15-08-04, 01:19 PM
ANYONE??????

_JH_
15-08-04, 01:45 PM
have you actually tried ringing round the body shops in your area? surely better than asking on here

nam
15-08-04, 01:54 PM
not yet as this is only an idea, i thought i would ask on here because alot of you have had all of this done there for would no how much it would cost

Nick
15-08-04, 02:43 PM
to have an arch welded in wouldn't cost much, maybe 50 quid, the expensive part is getting the whole panel resprayed.

go to a bodyshop and they'l tell you, as for the battery tray i wouldn't have throught that'd be expensive as it doesn't need to be pretty or match the paint of your car terribly well.

Riggy
15-08-04, 04:00 PM
was talking to sean today and he has been quoted about ?200 per arch for ftting and painting

carl

nam
15-08-04, 05:48 PM
well i was thinking of gettin them welded in and get all the other bits that i want to do done and then a full repray. The thing is am not too sure on how much its doing to cost me for the bat try and rear arch(only need one as the other side is like new)to be welded on with out spraying.

Adam
15-08-04, 07:38 PM
I know for a MK3 astra they are about ?150 a side to have welded etc.

robb
16-08-04, 09:26 AM
Not cheap mate,

especially if you want a good job done.

You are paying higher rates for higher quality, remember that.

When you go for a quote have a close look at any others they have done to check quality.

Stuart
16-08-04, 09:34 AM
buy a welder and DIY ;)

Ojc
16-08-04, 11:43 AM
I'm paying ?1300 for a full glacier white re-spray, new rear panel, new rear arches welded in, suspension turrets welded up and the battery tray plated up.

This is a very good bodyshop in Reading.

nam
16-08-04, 02:45 PM
right this is what i am looking at doing,
two mint doors(not new)
one new rear arch welded in
battery tray welded in
two new GM from wing's(even tho i have just replaced me wingwith non GM parts)
get a GTE bumper and smooth it
and the the whole car and above parts repray in the origanal colour

am i looking at about ?700-?900???

robb
16-08-04, 04:37 PM
Yeah about ?800 just for the respray!

Well that is the avergae price I have seen so far.

I have been quoted ?500 but I know people.

nam
16-08-04, 04:39 PM
oh right i didnt know that it would cost so much for a respray i thought along the lines of ?500/?600 :roll:

robb
16-08-04, 04:47 PM
Just remember:

...You are paying higher rates for higher quality...

Divaldo
18-08-04, 10:17 AM
i no some1 who will do ur arches for ?70 a side in north west and hes shit hot, no loads of people who been and used him, mines goin there soon.

nam
18-08-04, 11:08 AM
i no some1 who will do ur arches for ?70 a side in north west and hes s**t hot, no loads of people who been and used him, mines goin there soon.

sound then, could you pm me with hisname and phone number if possable?

Col_Mk1
18-08-04, 11:09 AM
am geting mine done 4 450 of a mate but he sed if i help i can get it done 4 300quid 8)

Mel
18-08-04, 09:45 PM
if i was you, i'd do most of it myself..c'mon, if i can do it, im sure you can. I cant weld very well, but i'm giving it a damn good try. (i have both arches to repair).

i've also taught myself on prepping/smoothing/spraying etc body panels (like bumpers), so would be worth doing that urself as well.

Personally, unless i know the person doing the work, i wouldnt trust my car with them. I know some body repairers who are rubbish, and do things totally wrong. at least if i done it myself, i dont have to rely on someone else's shoddy work, where i dont know what or how they have done a certain thing.

except respray, obviously, where you take pot luck.. :?

nam
18-08-04, 10:24 PM
if i was you, i'd do most of it myself..c'mon, if i can do it, im sure you can. I cant weld very well, but i'm giving it a damn good try. (i have both arches to repair).

i've also taught myself on prepping/smoothing/spraying etc body panels (like bumpers), so would be worth doing that urself as well.

Personally, unless i know the person doing the work, i wouldnt trust my car with them. I know some body repairers who are rubbish, and do things totally wrong. at least if i done it myself, i dont have to rely on someone else's shoddy work, where i dont know what or how they have done a certain thing.

except respray, obviously, where you take pot luck.. :?

after tell me bro about this post he told me his mate is a pro welder so he will be able to do the welding work :D, i will be doing a hell of a lot of the work my self, so it should reall only be the cost of the parts and respray, witch i know someone to do that for me :D

thanks for all the comments people

nam

dathers
21-08-04, 07:59 PM
you can get a respray for ?500,you pay for quality,if you want a good job youve got to pay for it.
For ?500 its gonna be sprayed in a back street garage with celulose,
For a ?1000 its gonna be sprayed with 2pack paint in a proper spray booth and baked dry.
Also,preparation is where alot of the money goes,a cheap job might be a bit wavy etc,a proper job will be glass smooth.
Get a cheap job and youll regret it!
Save for the best,but do make sure youre not spending over a grand on a car that is full of rust underneath!!( which most nova's are)
Its damn hard to find a rust free nova theese days.
Dave