PDA

View Full Version : Tyres Rubbing....Help, ASAP!

Cassie-Nova
14-08-04, 01:34 PM
Slammed on my set of 15" TSW Venoms the other day and today was the first time i have tried driving with them on.....

The back right side tyres rubbing on the lip of the wheel arch, its the only wheel that appears to be rubbing...making an awful noise when the car is moving, yet it looks fine when its stationary....

The car hasn't been lowered at all, and is a Mk1 1986 Merit, has any one else encountered problems with 15" rims?

I didn't think that I would have to muck about with the arches in terms of rolling them or flaring them due to them only being 15"s?

Any help is GREATLY GREATLY appreciated!

Cheers

epo
14-08-04, 01:44 PM
grind the inner lip off and it should be fine remember to treat it after ward otherwise it will rot where uve had the grinder

if it was a mk2 you wudnt have had the probs

are ur wheels the correct offset and what size tyers sre on them

Cassie-Nova
14-08-04, 01:51 PM
The size of the tyres are 195/50/15.....

Not sure on the offset, the car they came off was a Corsa and the car that they originally came off was a nova - not sure if he'd done any thing to the arches but i dont think the bloke with the corsa hadn't done any thing to the arches - not sure though....

Mike.
14-08-04, 02:30 PM
did they originnally come off a mk2 nova because iff they did there wouldn't have been a problem. i think its because the rear arches on a mk1 are narrower than mk2 arches. i think thats were your problem lys

Cassie-Nova
14-08-04, 02:34 PM
not sure whether they came off a mk1 or an mk2.

could the arch lip be simply tucked/bent upwards using a pair of pliers?

or would it really be best to grind?

epo
14-08-04, 02:37 PM
either way i supose just warm it up and be care full not to mess the paint work up

i recon the old angle grinders the best

Cassie-Nova
14-08-04, 02:44 PM
I've never used a grinder before, may pop out and get one though - how easy/hard is it to do though? Is it safe being so close to the petrol tank? Dont want to blow the car up or anything ;)

After grinding, what else will i need to do to the arches? Treating em with something to prevent the rust??

Thanks

Mike.
14-08-04, 02:49 PM
yep you need to paint the remaning arch lip otherwise it will rust and knaker the arch

angle grinders are ok and iff i was you i would take the wheel off, you don't want to start attacking your tyre and wheel with a angle grinder :o

epo
14-08-04, 02:50 PM
yeah just treat em with stuff to stop rot
ie wax oil or paint

make sure u wear eye protectors too and be just be carefull maybe just have a try on a scrap bit of metal so u get used to the angle grinder

General Baxter
14-08-04, 06:16 PM
make sure u wear eye protectors too and be just be carefull maybe just have a try on a scrap bit of metal so u get used to the angle grinder

protect your ears and nose :wink: not that hurts

EDIT : when you have to put the grinder down put it so the disk faces up :P

found out the hard way again, it cam on and went round my car :P

epo
14-08-04, 08:09 PM
lol i put a grinder across my leg while it was still moving made a right mess still got the scar it was well deep

Mike.
14-08-04, 08:18 PM
ok thats just put me off using a grinder for a while :o :o :D

epo
14-08-04, 08:22 PM
i love em i like playin with sharp dangerous stuff

fire's even more fun :twisted:

Mike.
14-08-04, 08:23 PM
you've got to love fire :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

smitty5door
16-08-04, 01:31 PM
just grind the arch lip away simple

whitty_nova_1300sr
16-08-04, 01:44 PM
lol i put a grinder across my leg while it was still moving made a right mess still got the scar it was well deep

ive done tht b4 m8 it hurts n e way bk 2 the q. just grind the lip away but some zink 182 or waxoil or paint. or if u want 2 b posh do it all

smitty5door
16-08-04, 02:06 PM
yep you've got to be careful with angle grinders

Mike.
16-08-04, 02:16 PM
any way do you have to grind the arch lip away cant you roll the arches then you dont have to worry about angle grinders and painting

whitty_nova_1300sr
16-08-04, 02:58 PM
cheaper 2 grind them than have them rolled

epo
16-08-04, 06:42 PM
yep you've got to be careful with angle grinders

u have to be carefull with lots of things
never stops me i have a scar on me finger from blowing up explosive one backfired in2 me hand and embeded a lump of metal in there it was in for 2 weeks and made me finger swell up but i still play with them :lol:

nova.pimp
16-08-04, 09:38 PM
hey kids. i dont get all this mk1 mk2 stuff. my 15's were on my mk2, dropped -60mm no arch mods. now the same hoops and bouncers are on my mk1. no arch mods, no rubbing. but i would'nt grind them. i'd have them rolled. better in the long run. but thats just my opinion. 8)

epo
16-08-04, 09:49 PM
the mk2 rear arches are 10mm or 5mm wider than the mk1 i think

Cassie-Nova
18-08-04, 06:16 PM
Let me assure you mate, the 15s on my Mk1 (1986 - C Reg) rubs like a nightmare.....rolling the arches/flaring = ????...???? I don't have ;)

Tried using a pair of grips/pliers to pull the wheel arch lip up so it was higher up - was ok with two people in the car, as soon as a 3rd got in, the shitteth hitteth the fanneth....

Odd thing is its only the rear right hand side wheel that rubs, the left does going round corners/potholes etc but no where near as bad as the right r/s......

I'm a tad worried as ill be grinding the lip on the same side as the Fuel Tank...and i know that my car has a minor leak from the tank to the solid fuel pipe through the flexipipe - flexipipe is saturated after a drive in fuel....Am I risking blowing myself and my car up by taking an angle grinder to the car with a leak - bearing in mind that its not dripping, just damp with fuel......

Cheers guys!

epo
18-08-04, 07:33 PM
remove the back seat = no passengers i did
lol make em catch the bus

Al Wilson
18-08-04, 08:35 PM
the mk2 rear arches are 10mm or 5mm wider than the mk1 i think

If only I'd realised this before I tried fitting mine! lol