PDA

View Full Version : The law system is all f**ked up!

robb
14-08-04, 10:28 AM
Got one of these today:
http://www.tms-stores.com/sorn.JPG

And a fine through despite taking a form in months ago when I passed the car to a mate, it is now scrapped.

Does anyone know how to get around it as money is tight and would rather spend the fine money on my new car.

I have thought of ringing them and saying that I had sent a form off and didn't actually receive the reminder so was being good citizen by getting own form and taking time to do it.

Any ideas?

Jules
14-08-04, 10:42 AM
Ring them up and explain your situation, explain that you filled out all the relevent paperwork to have it scrapped, that you don't remember getting any notification back from them - but you didn't know if you are suppose to get anything as you'd never scrapped a car before.
Maybe speaking to the yard where your mate took it to be scrapped just to see if they have any dated paperwork to prove it was scrapped wouldn't be a bad idea.
:roll:

General Baxter
14-08-04, 11:13 AM
this happend on my aprilia rs125 when i was having a new engine put in!

i sornd it as the tax ran out, few months later i get one of them, phoned them up, sorry Mr baxter we have no records of the car :o being off the road!

Mike.
14-08-04, 01:56 PM
bloody hope that doesn't happen to me. i've just sent away the paper work for the SORN

but iff my car is declared sorn
can it be towed to another location?
i.e for repaires

J4MES
14-08-04, 01:59 PM
thats pretty harsh mate, give them a ring they might revoke the fine..

^^^^as long as its not driven or parked on the road you can move it all you want....

Mike.
14-08-04, 02:03 PM
or nice one cheers james

Al Wilson
14-08-04, 05:48 PM
Good old reliable DVLA. What do you expect from a place based in Wales? lol

?Marty?
14-08-04, 06:11 PM
You sdhould have taken the documents to the post office and obtained a receipt.

A lot of 'law' (it's not 'criminal' law, more so rules and regulations) relating to motoring 'offences' is STRICT LIABILITY. Which means personal circumstances are not usually, if ever, taken into consideration.

?Marty?
14-08-04, 06:13 PM
Just ring them up and say ''you're not getting anything off me, io paid enough tax through petrol. And the car wasn't even on the road, i don't care about your stupid sorn paperword beaurocracy, it was not on the road and you're not getting sweet fa from me.''.

Also, don't forget to call them Nazis for added effect.

Follow my plan, and all will be well.

Mel
14-08-04, 08:46 PM
yeah, follow his plan for a very fast "drive" to the nearest prison :lol:

ring them up and explain what happened..

_JH_
14-08-04, 09:05 PM
Good old reliable DVLA. What do you expect from a place based in Wales? lol

:lol: you've never had one of these then? they come from a section of the DVLA based in scotland.

I SORN'd my pug 205 rallye. sent a covering letter asking for a receipt, and kept photocopies of each piece of paper (I always do with the DVLA).

I had a small thank you letter with the date the SORN would run out.

a few weeks later I still had a fine come through. they had no record of my letters. when I got past the penis on the phone and started talking to a manager, I read out all the photo copies i had as well as the receipt. stupid gimp was speechless, I'd tucked him up big time. he was very apologetic!

the DVLA have their head up their arse. I am all for the strict regulations regarding cars. but if they're going do it right, they need to sort their admin staff out. its no point saying you must send a form in or else, if they're just going to lose it and hand out a fine.

General Baxter
14-08-04, 09:35 PM
all that money they get from speed cameras and they can not hire some good people to do the job right!

what was the point in switching the V5 for V5C?

Mike.
14-08-04, 09:38 PM
there was no point mate they just like pissing people off

General Baxter
14-08-04, 09:58 PM
had to fill one out today as i sold my 1.6 and you think i could do it! :lol:

jody
15-08-04, 10:12 AM
*gets on high horse*

i work for a DVLA local office, if you sold the car to your mate YOU must make sure that you send the V5 off, dont leave it to someone else, if you sent a sorn notice then tell them that.

Reminders are only courtesy its up to you to make sure your tax is current or you declare it off road.

Swansea now issue letters telling you that you are no longer the registered keeper, untill you have one of those you remain liable for the tax.

The V5C had to be introuduced to come inline with the EU, DVLA didnt do it just for fun, it has caused us no end of problems :roll:

sorry, but i dont think some people appreciate how hard the job is and how much shite i put up with because people cant use common sense, read forms or sign things. The money you pay for your tax to fix the roads goes elsewhere, we just have the unfortunate job of collecting it.
I would love to see most people try and do a days work at our office, 99% would walk before the day is out. Swansea is crap cos the people at the end of the phones are students that dont have a clue what they are talking about!

We do make mistakes and swansea deal with over 2000 documents/letters a day.

BTW never take anything to a post office,they are absolutley useless!

That aside, if anyone want any info on completing applications etc i dont mind helping out :D

General Baxter
15-08-04, 10:44 AM
Reminders are only courtesy its up to you to make sure your tax is current or you declare it off road.

Swansea now issue letters telling you that you are no longer the registered keeper, untill you have one of those you remain liable for the tax.

The V5C had to be introuduced to come inline with the EU, DVLA didnt do it just for fun, it has caused us no end of problems :roll:

i got my letter telling me i want not the kepper of the bike 6 months later :o

about the V5c, are old way was perfectly ok, is this goverments doing, to get us in the EU then? (make little changes and we join with out even knowing it)

+ could you make horses taxable, and have to have insurance! :lol:

jody
15-08-04, 11:48 AM
the old V5 was fine, the newV5C means more work for us, its to make it harmonised to all eu log books carry the same info.

im well up for horses having to be taxed........... :twisted:

Mel
15-08-04, 09:11 PM

i got my letter telling me i want not the kepper of the bike 6 months later :o

about the V5c, are old way was perfectly ok, is this goverments doing, to get us in the EU then? (make little changes and we join with out even knowing it)

+ could you make horses taxable, and have to have insurance! :lol:

The old way was alright, i agree..it was government's doing, but not to "get us in the EU", as we ALREADY are in the EU. We signed the EU treaty in 1972, making us a member in Jan 1973, so have been in the EU for a while.

Reason why government has done it, is cause, as a member of the EU, any EU regulation, directive, treaty or source is supreme to our own. So, even though we already have a system set up, thats irrelevant, as the EU decisions are supreme to our own law. Therefore, government had no choice but to comply with it - i.e. changing OUR separate V5 for a V5c which is the same in the EU.. (failure to comply with such a decision means UK being taken to court by the EU etc).

Does that help make it a bit clearer? :?

sh0rty
15-08-04, 09:30 PM
My dad has also had fines through etc recently due to not owning the vehicle anymore, it was seen in another town few months later with no tax and he got fined for it. but he has the documents saying he got rid i think. hes chosen to go to court about it due to the fact hes done nothing wrong and has told them so :twisted: "innocent until proven guilty...im not there to prove im innocent, your there to prove im guilty"

my brother also worked in DVLA and he said the job was so piss easy and boring he left rofl. sit on a pc opening and entering info. FUN FUN

General Baxter
15-08-04, 09:57 PM
boring he left rofl. sit on a pc opening and entering info. FUN FUN

thats heven :lol: i work out side all day what even the weather, underneath cars and trucks

jody
15-08-04, 09:59 PM
obviously he didnt work on a public counter then, at LO's we have no access to amend records so we cant put info on.

thanks for putting the eu thing straight mel, its basically just for us all to have more paperwork :roll: load of crap if you ask me, just more bits to rip up.

Mel
15-08-04, 10:46 PM
lol, you're welcome. at last, my 3 (soon to be 4) years law study has come to some use :lol:

never mind...its just another forest of trees :o

Al Wilson
16-08-04, 12:05 AM
law study? So thats what you call it! :lol:

Mel
16-08-04, 09:50 PM
i DO study law, you wally..

even if i have been a student bum for the past 3 years :lol:

Ben
17-08-04, 04:19 PM
I rang them up and said id sold the car etc (wich i had) then i had another letter apologising a few weeks later!

robb
18-08-04, 09:56 AM
I just phoned them and said that I had sent the reminder SORN back in may, and also sold on to be scrapped. So I have to send the sheet back with the completed statement on it.

They said that the case will be closed once I have done this.