PDA

View Full Version : car wont start...

dan-hipgrave
13-08-04, 04:45 PM
At times my car will not start - it turns over but will not fire. It seems completely random as to when it does it - it can be when the engine is hot or cold, just been driven or not....

I know that fuel is getting to the engine because i can smell it, so am i right in guessing that it is something to do with the timing?

Once its started it runs fine, it just takes a long time to get it started when it does this - i spent about half an hour at work today trying to get it started, and it drove home fine...

What could be causing this, i really want it fixed a.s.a.p. because it was quite embarassing at work today when i had everyone i work with walking past my car saying typical nova :roll:

newboy2thenova
13-08-04, 05:20 PM
all i can think of m8 is that u check ur sparks h.t leads and may be clean ur carb....and may be run sum red-ex threw mite sort it

dan-hipgrave
13-08-04, 05:22 PM
forgot to mention earlier that my carbs etc. have been cleaned and i recently ran some redex through my system when it first did it...

Riggy
13-08-04, 07:21 PM
as said

ht leads
coil
dizzy
sparkplugs
starter
earth straps (prob this one)
wires to the starter

could be all sorts mate :(

dan-hipgrave
13-08-04, 08:32 PM
ok, cheers for that mate...looks like ive got a weekend of checking the engine over and giving it a service.

epo
13-08-04, 08:39 PM
i am 100% sure its an earth strap thats missing from the gear box to the body work
u see i had the exact same prob lem
put the earth strap on (snigger) and ive never had a prob

dan-hipgrave
13-08-04, 08:41 PM
yeh you must be right, ive just been chatting to a mate and he said exactly the same thing, so im gonna be checking it out tommorrow.

Cheers guys :D

epo
13-08-04, 08:56 PM
its wierd i found mine wouldnt start propaly in the summer months only

Nick
13-08-04, 09:48 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm

earth strap to the gearbox !?

i don't think i got one of them :-) my car starts crapper than it used to, specially since the gearbox was changed !

where should it be, my car is a mk2 1.2 carb if that helps !

Riggy
14-08-04, 01:07 PM
lol look under the passenger wheel arch at the gear box on one of the bolts that you can see in front of you a strap fits on and goes to the body of the car in about the line of the dissy :D

dan-hipgrave
14-08-04, 02:07 PM
ok, well i have been out and checked and all earth straps seem to be on and in ok condition.

I am gonna take the spark plugs out later and se what sort of condition they are in....