PDA

View Full Version : slick's

benji
12-08-04, 06:32 PM
i've been looking for a set of slick's or road leagal slick's but they all come in daft sizes. i want some 15's but they are either 185/55 or 205/50.
any ideas

cheers

ben.

Davy!!
13-08-04, 10:03 AM
wear yoir current tyres down to virtually no tread, just the same as road legal slicks, and keep buying part worns when the get through to the metal, i used to have worn out tyres, and in the dry held the road brilliant in the wet... nearly dead! it was fun!

Stuart
13-08-04, 11:20 AM
:roll:

worn street tyres arent the same compound as slicks (you plank)

look at colway tyres.

i agree they do come in stupid sizes.

you might be best off calling a competition tyre supplier and see what they have to say.

Ste_Nova
13-08-04, 11:59 AM
i've got 185/70 14"..... nice rubbage

Davy!!
13-08-04, 12:09 PM
what is the point for normal road usage anyway? unless u r only taking it to a track, and going by the lovely weather we have not worth a funk!!

benji
13-08-04, 03:42 PM
wtf!! why the fuck would i want slick for on the road???

i got a price on a set of yoko a032-r's today 195/50/15. ?100 a tyre :o

Stuart
13-08-04, 03:47 PM
ouch

try rally spares places. migth be able to get part worn slicks, although charles has screwed a set of slicks before as they were a tad worn lol

benji
13-08-04, 04:06 PM
i'll probably just fork out for them. at least i can drive the 5 miles from my house to donnington on them

BigRuss
14-08-04, 03:30 PM
Yokohama a032 r's are a good compromise tyre for track use, might be able to get them a little cheaper than that for you from My tyre supplier too :D Make sure You get the softer compound for the back though :wink:

They are no good for Rallying but should be good compromise as said for track and road use.

I run 180 580 15 and/or 190 570 15 Michelin moulded slicks, inters and wets according to weather conditions, basically the sizing means,

180/190 width in mm's

580/570 tyre radius(Height) in mm's

15 15" tyre :lol:

To make it a little more confusing manufacturers drop the 0's, therefore I run 18 58 15's and/or 19 57 15's.

Then there are the compound options, soft, med + hard. It does get confusing :o

benji
14-08-04, 05:23 PM
thanks russ. what's the difference between yoko a032's and a048's?

cheers

ben

Al Wilson
14-08-04, 05:57 PM
in the dry held the road brilliant in the wet... nearly dead! it was fun!

Not sure why but finding that hilarious. :lol:

S_Gault
15-08-04, 03:45 PM
I use Dunlop (im actually sponsered them), get them direct from dunlop motorsport and if you buy a moulded slick (for a rally car, they will be road legal just!). coz after all rally cars have to be MOTd.

see their site for compounds and sizes as there is a vast choice.

but for a road car- most people i know who compete in road going section of hills etc use Yoko A539s.

Steven

benji
15-08-04, 04:46 PM
http://www.tyre-pictures.com/Yokohama/A539.jpg

this one? wouldn't i have the same problem with this as i did with my eagle f1's? i spoke to a yoko dealer the other day and he said the a539 is not as sticky as the f1

Stuart
15-08-04, 06:59 PM
539's are just crap for proper track use

the swansea institute locost racing team has a rather mad portugeese driver, and they have hit the limit with the tyres in just about every outing lol

but they are the only tyres that they can run.

saying that they are good in the wet. but in the dry, stick to the F1's

or a intermediate slick (should be legal enough to shut the filth up)

benji
15-08-04, 07:04 PM
saying that they are good in the wet. but in the dry, stick to the F1's

shouldn't that be the other way round? the f1's are good in the dry but in the wet they are awsome.

S_Gault
15-08-04, 10:12 PM
well my man has set 2 records on them!!

i need more info on your use here- the a 539 is superb for 2 laps!! exaclty what you want in a sprint.

on a track day- i doubt it thou- youd be better with a shit old hard slick-

do you guys even bother to measure tyre temps? you may find its your chassis setup isnt right- not the tyre!!

Steven

benji
15-08-04, 11:11 PM
i've been told my excessive tyre wear is down to my suspension being too soft. i'll get that sorted first. can antone recommend a good set of coilovers?

steven - i want the tyres for trackdays not sprints, i need them to last about 1500 track miles

BigRuss
16-08-04, 11:02 AM
So let Me get this right, You want a tyre that is a good compromise between dry, wet and damp conditions, Yes?

But You also want them to last 1500 track miles :o :o

My friend, I think You are after the impossible.

When I go to an event I take at least 12 wheels and tyres with Me. I keep a close eye on the weather for a few days before an event and make sure that I take the appropriate tyres for the forecast. I also take some as "Might needs". I have taken as many as 22 wheels and tyres to a two day event before now.

The appropriate tyre works exceptionally well in the right conditions but I only expect them to last approx 125 - 175 stage miles :o

If I were You I'd bite the bullet and buy another set of rims, have one set with the best dry weather tyre (slick/road legal slick) You can afford and have the other set ready to fit with the best intermediate/road tyre You could afford (In case it rains or if water on the track).

Track days are the same as any other form of motorsport, the more You spend the faster/more competitive You will be. The advice someone gave You about tyre wear caused by suspension being too soft is correct, unfortunately a good track set up would be absoloutley un-driveable on the road so You need to decide if You want a serious track day weapon 8) or a compromise road/track machine :?

The best pure motorsport suspension available for most cars are Bilstein coilovers, not Sprintline or sportline jobbies the proper motorsport/group "A" ones. You don't need coilovers on the back though just bilstein tarmac shockers and the appropriate poundage springs for whichever discipline You are entering. Circuit set up being much harder than rallying set up.

Trust Me if You bolt on a set of rims with slicks on in the dry and had a proper circuit set up on your car then the list of cars that beat You/lapped faster than You at the last track day would be greatly reduced. Now I know I'm babbling on a bit :roll: but if done right tyre/suspension set up will transform Your car and then You'll really have people looking under your bonnet with utter disbelief :lol: :lol:

benji
16-08-04, 05:40 PM
russ - what i am after is a good set of dry tyre's to have as a second set which will last around 10 track days. in the wet i will use my eagle f1's as they are the best wet tyre i know of.
the car is going to be a hardcore track day weapon but i will also want to use it on the road.
why don't i need rear coilovers? and what sort of cash will i need to spend to get a set-up like you described? and how bad would it be on the road?

i have also bee told to lookin to getting my sump baffeled. where can i get this done, and do i really need it?

then there's brakes. how good are the v6 set-up's? of should i go for a proper set of wilwood's or brembo's? and do i need rear disc's, or are trhey just for show?

lol. i'm babbling now. i'm definatly going for a hardcore track day motor, on the road mine is farily quick for a 1400 but on the track it was awsome. and that's not even a good set-up. it can only get better :D

Stuart
16-08-04, 05:54 PM
yes baffle the sump properly (not sure where lol)

if you get good springs and dampers for the rear your sorted, so no major need to get coilovers on the rear.

the V6 brakes are good, but with a nova master cylinder they only start working properly once your foot is on the floor lol. so get a bias pedelbox and replumb yer brake lines. that will do wonders for braking

im making my pedal box + only running astra ates up front and remewing the drums + shoes + cylinders on the rears.

BigRuss
16-08-04, 06:56 PM
Benji,

Go to http://www.eurorallye.co.uk/

Click on the TYRE section and then click on TARMAC.

There is a part worn pair of Michelin S9B's on there for ?40, now they would be the ballocks on the front of Your car on a warm dry day. They are a proper slick and are now banned from rallying as no tread pattern at all - A PROPER SLICK - 8)

I used those two seasons ago when they were permitted and in dry warm weather they are awesome, ?40 is for nothing. Even part worn they should see You through at least 4 - 5 track days.

I also know someone selling a pair of 18 58 15 Michelin N00's, these are the softest moulded slick that Michelin make and are what I use on the back of mine in the dry. Although they are mega soft they last ages on the back as the back doesn't actually do any work, it just follows the front :D . I could find out how much He wants but they wouldn't be cheap as they are rally legal and in demand. I'll see if I can find some soft pure slicks as they would be cheaper :wink:

Suspension wise I know someone selling a complete Bilstein Tarmac set up, complete front legs with rose jointed Alloy eccentric top mounts, springs, cups etc... Also includes rear shocks and springs. Can get a price if interested but again not cheap.

Yes baffle the sump, basically construct a swirl pot configuration around where the pick up pipe sits. Not sure of exact dimensions though.

As for brakes, what I said earlier now rings true. The more You spend the faster You'll be, any four pot caliper is better than a single or two pot caliper. It's as simple as that, however Willwoods and Brembo's are not as good as AP or Alcon.
This is one of the area where Nova's really shine, they are light and very nimble. Therefore You put on a four pot set up and You'll outbrake most cars You come across.
I am fortunate enough to have the very best that money can buy on the front of My rally car, and I have never been outbraked on a Rally and I give in to no one when going for a corner or chicane :twisted: Ask Barn, he has seen the results of people challenging Me for chicanes :lol: Good braking gives You unbelievable confidence when driving in anger. Basically get the best brakes You can afford, and the best pads - NO EBC shite.
You don't need rear disks, I have them but only need them for tight hair-pins, I do flick the stick sometimes to set the car up for a corner but usually only in the wet or on gravelly sections. On trackdays if your in the gravel you ARE in trouble :lol:

Glad to see You might be going for a pure track machine, You have to agree that the buzz when competing is second to none. Nobody could ever drive a car on the road as You can on a track or stage, I for one Love the buzz of competing.

S_Gault
16-08-04, 10:31 PM
i can help you with the sump if you want.

most of my customers use Leda front with bilstein tarmac on rear.

Steven

benji
16-08-04, 11:14 PM
thanks for the offer steven but you are in northen ireland and i am in england, postage would cost a fortune

benji
16-08-04, 11:26 PM
holy shit! nova grpA front struts, ?300 each + vat. from harry hockley. that's ?700 for the front suspension. i can't justify spending that sort of cash on a the car. it's not as if i'm building a competition car.