PDA

View Full Version : Straight trough exhaust system!

sTuDeNt
11-08-04, 04:53 PM
Hi guys!

Question!

I have standart exhaust system for 1.2 and as the standart one it has two silancers middle one and the back box. I was wondering if it is ok to cut the midle silencer and make it straight through one?

1. What sort of pipe shall i use to replace my middle silencer
2. How whould i join the pipes together
3. Is it MOT legal
4. Would it sound sh*t and is it worth it?

Cheers

dan-hipgrave
11-08-04, 05:05 PM
i was thinking of doing this to mine when i get my new exhaust system - my mate told me to do it and he said that it should pass an MOT without the middle silencer, the only problems you could face is with it being too loud.

He said that it can just be replaced with ordinary piping of a similar diameter. Dunno if it would give any sort of performance gain though...

m.d.
11-08-04, 10:55 PM
not really worth it for the effort involved, just get a gte system as its a bigger bore the whole way through

Ste_Nova
12-08-04, 09:44 AM
all nova exhausts are same bore.... from 1.0 to gsi

Alpine99
12-08-04, 02:15 PM
i did this but i know all the people down my local quick fit 8)

all we did was cut out the old middle box, found some pipe the same diamiter (spelling) cut it to size, heated and clamped it up.

makes it sound load as fcuk and when coming down the gears it pop's LOTS! also when hot mine used to pop coming up the gears :lol:

as for the mot, my mates dad helped us do it and he is an mot feller. so far as i know its ok lol but thats only coz he will be doing the mot :P

sounds the dogs nuts with a BB4 :wink:

stiller_uk
12-08-04, 04:12 PM
I did this.

Just cut on the inside on the silencer (close to the rings on either side) at either end, don't cut through the pipe in the middle tho.

Then wrap the old box around the pipe u got left and get it welded up.

Makes the zorst LOUD, and it pops at every oppertunity.

sTuDeNt
12-08-04, 05:27 PM
Is it worth doing or it would look like a w*nk!!?

clawsk
12-08-04, 05:53 PM
May aswell try it, im now thinkin i might try it! got a spare bb4 in the garage! :D

epo
12-08-04, 07:31 PM
done it already infact ive no sielencers on the car

it sounds mint
i have no probs with the old bill or the mot people

sTuDeNt
12-08-04, 08:25 PM
Cheers mate!!! I will try! :)

Al Wilson
13-08-04, 12:13 AM

it sounds mint

Same with me mate. Complete straight through with 4-2-1 manifold and no silencers. Tis loud but sounds good and works rather than all noise no go exhausts.

Davy!!
13-08-04, 09:47 AM
straight through scaffy tubes.... makes one hell of a racket!!

Philsutton
13-08-04, 11:41 AM
i have bout 3 silencers on mine an, an anyone thats ever heard mine will know how stupidly loud it is.

NovaNeil
13-08-04, 12:25 PM
.... But Phil you have a s3xy 2.0 16v Lump under the bonnet :D And yes your car is loud as f@ck!

I run no silencer whatsoever..... Not even a backbox! But the Turbo silences the noise..... a bit :twisted: 108db at 4000rpm mine is.

Neil

Philsutton
13-08-04, 04:23 PM
hmmm thats rather loud, although yours didnt sound too loud down the strip. I need more siliencers damn it

epo
13-08-04, 07:12 PM

it sounds mint

Same with me mate. Complete straight through with 4-2-1 manifold and no silencers. Tis loud but sounds good and works rather than all noise no go exhausts.

yeah but uve got carbon fiber back boxe's aint u mate i havent got ne back boxes on mine

Al Wilson
14-08-04, 06:06 PM
Back boxes yes but you can see straight through them - they have no 'resistance' whatsoever especially as I've taken the baffle 'butt plug' things out. I used to have no back box and the exhaust pipe just chopped off halfway down the car during the mid way engine conversion stage - pain in the asse because of the lack of back pressure and the fumes.....zzzzzzzzz