PDA

View Full Version : engine help needed,

Nath
10-08-04, 09:05 AM
hi guys well about 3 weeks ago i changed the head gasket on my 1.2 carb, anyway after 3 weeks of driving it i felt the power start to diaspear again, ive drove the car gently all the time aswell, anyway all the car seems to do now is smoke again. i dont want to use the car because of it burning oil, now i had the head skimmed 6 times :o lol. so my guess is on the head has cracked or something? just wondering if u agree before i go looking for a new head or even a new engine, cheers

robb
10-08-04, 09:20 AM
Check water for grey gunge....

Check oil for grey gunge....

If you have a tick in any these I'd just upgrade your engine. Far easier and you will probably do it sometime anyway.

Nath
10-08-04, 05:54 PM
waters fine, oils fine, its weird because when the headgasket went before the water turned brown and foamy and it was swelling up one of my water pipes lol. still not to sure about it, when i start the car up it smokes but if i run it or rev it for a bit the smoke stops :roll:

Chris
10-08-04, 05:58 PM
have you done a compression test? If not do one, then pull some oil in each cylinder and do it again, if the compression increases then you will have problems with your rings, if not then it is a head problem again, sounds to me like a head problem though, did you retorque the head bolts? (did you use new head bolts?)

Adam
10-08-04, 10:23 PM
I read somewhere that the head can go without the oil in water etc, if it goes at another part of the engine, so instead it leaks water or something like that.
Jbobo-Does your coolant keep going down, or your oil,

Nath
11-08-04, 08:48 AM
yeah i torqued the bolts, but thats the problem i didnt use new head bolts so im guessing thats the problem.will give that a try though m8 just to make sure its the head before i strip her down,

Stuart
11-08-04, 10:29 AM
id suggest head off, fresh gasket set and bolts (and washers)

then get the head pressure tested. or just get a new head from somewhere lol

the brown water and bulged hose is a cylinder - water way breach ie your coolant went into the engine and the exhaust gases went into the coolant system, hence a poped pipe.

also might be worth while getting the block checked for level. i know its cast so it shouldnt warp, but it might if youve had so many problems

Nath
13-08-04, 10:37 AM
ok another question, the car only smokes when i start it up in the morning, after ive reved it a bit or drove it round the block its fine! ive been using the car and its running superb. not losing any oil or water?? cars hey lmao