PDA

View Full Version : Difference in fitting an XE and a LET?

Funkdocta
09-08-04, 05:48 PM
I've got the instructions to fit a valver in my Nova and that I need various different mounts, shafts and hubs etc. It seems farely straight forward to fit an 2ltr 16v XE engine in my GTE with the F20 g/box, and i'm ready to do this conversion in the next few months.

Is it much different fitting the LET engine? Surely it's pretty much the same as the XE but with more induction piping to squeez in? I guess the main propblem with fitting the LET is the intercooler, is this right? Do u use the standard intercooler and where r people putting these? What else is envolved in the LET conversion (And 6 speed g/box)? Does the shell need strengthening?

Thanks everyone, any info would be a great help!

AnThoNYnOvA
09-08-04, 06:30 PM
any 2l from 8v 16v turbo strengh the bay because in time its gonna rip the body apart.

about fitting a turbo dunno how much work it is to get put in as ive never done it but i answered 1 question

epo
09-08-04, 07:11 PM
i think u have to pratt about with the manifold as the let one dont fit right

i recon any way

Funkdocta
09-08-04, 08:30 PM
Yeah thought so, heard from somewhere that you have to bend or cut back the lip seperating the heater/interior fan. Someone on here must have done the conversion??

Are there any instructions on the net?

epo
09-08-04, 08:36 PM
pass just flick through the features section and pm a few people

Funkdocta
09-08-04, 08:39 PM
Ok, nice one. If anyone see's this post who's done or had anything to with the LET conversion, would really appreciate some advise.

Safe peeps

epo
09-08-04, 08:47 PM
am sure they will mate there all pretty sound lads on here

rick drapers doin a well smart turbo conversion u cud ask him

Ste_Nova
10-08-04, 02:26 PM
let is same as xe....

but with added intercooler, moving rad forward and trimming slam for intake pipe

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/engine_smallr.jpg

Funkdocta
11-08-04, 11:20 AM
Great! Has your engine got the 6 speed gearbox? Have you had any problems since fitting the engine, how long has it been in? Did u just buy the engine mount kit for the XE? Did you use Nova GTE driveshafts and Cavalier Mk2 (late) 1600cc inner CV joints?

What driveshafts and inner joints do you need for the 6 speed g/box?
Is the F20 G/box to weak for the LET engine?

What sort of price's are these engine ready to go in? How much are the g/box's?

Thanks! Just what I needed to hear!

Ste_Nova
11-08-04, 01:40 PM
thats robs let in his spider

astra-astra type grp a shaft setup with grp a flanges and hubs

f28 box

carquip front mount (modded)
carquip plates on rear mount (modded)
home made gearbox mount

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/spider007.jpg

Ben
11-08-04, 01:47 PM
you dont have to stregthen any shell for any engine. its personal preference.