PDA

View Full Version : perfect ingredients for 1.4 t40???

novaboy1981
09-08-04, 02:11 PM
so guys, another poser for you all....as above, would you go for 8 or 16v, what to do to the bottom end, manifolds and so on.
im running a '92 sri at the moment so what bits do u reckon i could keep and what would need replacing?

cheers
andy

MC
09-08-04, 05:33 PM
I'd start off by having your head modified. Something like a B+ with 1mm enlarged valves and wasted stems. I'd also fit an aftermarket cam. What spec depends on what other mods you perform. If you fit twin 40's I'd fit either a piper 285 or 300 cam. If you stay with a single body, I definately would not go more than 285. Add a 4-branch manifold and performance system. I'd also use a close ratio gear cluster with a 4.18FD. Use an ATB diff if poss too.

WIth regard to induction, you could use twin 40's but you would also get good results if you used your standard intake with fully mapable ignition and made a few improvements.

If your block is tired, its worth having 1 1mm overbore and having the crank reground.

MC

novaboy1981
10-08-04, 11:06 PM
right, looking at the mappable ignition option, what sort of price are we looking and for what benefits in power/torque?
how would it compare to fitting t40s?

and with regard to the t40s, how would the sri ecu cope with the change from injection to carbs? would anything need to be changed there?

cheers
andy

MC
11-08-04, 07:48 AM
It's an easy swap over to twin 40's, might just have to source a second hand SR ignition set-up.

With regard to the mapable ECU for the standard intake, I can't say exactly what the gains will be, but if you do the mods listed to the head and block, it will be a very fast 1.4 and quite original. I know of a 1600 that is similar WITHOUT head mods, but increased compression, and thats very quick (group A spec listed at about 145bhp).

MC

Barn
11-08-04, 01:04 PM
I'd start off by having your head modified. Something like a B+ with 1mm enlarged valves and wasted stems. I'd also fit an aftermarket cam. What spec depends on what other mods you perform. If you fit twin 40's I'd fit either a piper 285 or 300 cam. If you stay with a single body, I definately would not go more than 285. Add a 4-branch manifold and performance system. I'd also use a close ratio gear cluster with a 4.18FD. Use an ATB diff if poss too.MC
how much is that likely to cost ?

maybe minus the Diff!

might just have to source a second hand SR ignition set-up.
Why an SR ignition setup mate ?

I asked this question the other day with no reply...

I am looking to spice my 1300 up abit and would change the ignition if it means the engine would run more efficiently...

how much for new coil/dizzy from Vauxhall ?

or would it be worth going to Autovaux ?

Cheers for the help

:+: