PDA

View Full Version : ...Car Dead...!

Barn
06-08-04, 10:35 AM
Was driving after a long run last night and was going up a small hill and my car just went dead...no power at all...

Tried to bump it in reverse and didnt do anything.

Car turns over but just no power at all.

I was thinking maybe a fuel line (though couldnt smell or see any petrol in the engine bay) or like the distributor has packed in or something...

maybe the timing belt has gone ?

What are the checks I should be looking to do first off ?

Cheers :+:

broony
06-08-04, 11:58 AM
If its your timing belt then because you've been trying to bump start it and turn it over then you probably have already damaged the valves etc.

To check though, take off the timing belt cover, get someone to try start it and watch if the camshaft pulley turns. If it doesnt then you've stripped teeth on the timing belt and its buggered.

Really hope its not your timing belt mate coz it happened to me and its a right pain!

Adam
06-08-04, 08:29 PM
If it was the timing belt then you would have also got a loud breaking/screeching/cracking etc etc noise, which would of been the engine valves bending/snapping.
So if the power just went without noise then its probably electrical related, or fuel supply.

CHeck dizzy,HT leads,coil etc.
Is your engine carb or injection, check for fuel at the engine end. Perhaps fuel pumps packed in.

Was your car overheating when it happened?