PDA

View Full Version : what do i need for an XE !?

Nick
03-08-04, 10:55 PM
Im off to uni this year and the car's suspension is sorted, wheels , interior is going leather and a full gsi kit....

Now i need to start collectin bits for my XE Am i right in thinking i need

XE Engine,Gbox,Loom, exhuast ecu e.t.c (the full shabang)
NOva GTE 22 spline driveshafts
CAV inner CV's
Engine mounts ?
Seem welded engine bay

How much does it cost to have the engine bay welded, as i'd probably have a respray at the same time ?

total figures for the whole project ?

i can see it taking me a year or so to get it all done so insurance shouldn't be a problem by the time it's finished.

is it a HARD job (engine swap) as i'm reasonably competant and my dad's swapped classics engines before ?

Also, is it posible to add a turbo onto an XE properly ? no bodge jobs ? as i've heard it's a pretty similar engine to the LET. is a LET conversion a bigger job ? or is it the money factor that makes people do XE rather than LET ?

dan-hipgrave
03-08-04, 11:04 PM
unfortunately ive not done it myself :( but the guide on Valvers.com is supposed to be pretty good and easy to follow....

Aragorn
04-08-04, 10:33 AM
if u want a turbo buy a let

let will cost u 1000+ xe's u can get from 350-400 but its gonna cost hefty cash to convert xe to turbo

the lets just the same it fit except u need to mount up the intercooler and move the radiator forward a bit to clear the charger, also need some creative pipework routing :)

Stuart
04-08-04, 11:36 AM
how the fuck are students affording to mod cars these days??!?!?! i had trouble enough keeping mine std and moving lol

and dont say "the student loan pays for it" cos you have to eat, have roof and go get drunk off that!! lol

Al Wilson
04-08-04, 12:35 PM
how the f**k are students affording to mod cars these days??!?!?! i had trouble enough keeping mine std and moving lol

and dont say "the student loan pays for it" cos you have to eat, have roof and go get drunk off that!! lol

lol! I did work full time for eighteen months before uni to finance 75% of the car. It's been a real struggle to finish it since September though and I am very very broke.

Nick
04-08-04, 01:48 PM
the student loan will pay for it :-D

only jokin... well my car is pretty much done cept for a respay and engine, possibly the two most expensive things lol

my dad is going to do all the engine work for me so it should work out pretty cheapish i think, maybe 1500 for the whole lot ?

Philsutton
04-08-04, 05:47 PM
ah the student loans pays for all my needs :lol:

Stuart
05-08-04, 07:58 AM
are they secretly giving our ?6K a year to people? lol

i was on just under ?3K a year. tossers it was barely enough to eat and drink and live with

m.d.
05-08-04, 07:49 PM
lol im havin trouble with a full time well paid job. to pay for the nova with the hefty insurance they want for it.

it will cost arround 300 for the conversion if you do most of it yourself. but its the best 300 quid you will ever spend on the nova