PDA

View Full Version : Gsi and Gte starter motor

clawsk
02-08-04, 12:18 PM
Got a spare starter motor off my mates gte the other day but it is much bigger than the starter off my gsi.

Will it still work on my gsi though?

Cheers

Will F
02-08-04, 01:24 PM
it will plop straight on.

Ste_Nova
02-08-04, 02:01 PM
it will sound different

Al Wilson
02-08-04, 03:11 PM
plop

What a great word!

Will F
02-08-04, 03:52 PM
Thanks! :lol:

And like Ste said, the Gsi one sounds better imo! lol.

More like a modern car!

clawsk
02-08-04, 10:19 PM
Yeah have noticed that mine sounds different to my mates sr.

Is there anyway way of testing a starter when it is off the car?

Cheers for your help.

Will F
03-08-04, 09:08 AM
I can test it! :D

You would need to take it to an auto electrician, as they have special machines to test them.

You can do it yourself, but its not advisable.

srs1
03-08-04, 09:13 AM
what you want to test it for?
if you know it works then just put it to the side untill you need it.

clawsk
03-08-04, 11:27 AM
I need to test it cos i aint sure if my gsi starter is workin, it was working before the engine re-build, but my mate wired it up wrong and rekons that its cooked and no longer works, the gte starter is off a scrap engine so no1 knows if it did or still does work.

Got a bloke comin to wire my engine up tonight and was hoping id know if i had a decent starter, if not get down the scrappy try find another 1!

Cheers.

Ste_Nova
03-08-04, 11:43 AM
Got a bloke comin to wire my engine up tonight and was hoping id know if i had a decent starter, if not get down the scrappy try find another 1!

Cheers.

lol why didn't u get me to do it :lol:

clawsk
03-08-04, 12:34 PM
Your quite welcome to come fix my car! its been off the road for 3 months :o

Ste_Nova
03-08-04, 02:35 PM
lol whats up with it?

clawsk
03-08-04, 02:48 PM
The engine blew a valve so decided to re-con the whole thing, had re-bore, new pistons, exhaust valves head skimmed, crank re-grind new shells. The engine was rebuilt all new gaskets water pump clutch kit, cam belt etc etc. Put it back togethor and dropped it in everything looked fine.

Then hosed it up timed it up , conneted the loom and fuel lines. Turned the key and nothing just the handbrake light was on constant without ignition. The temp gauge was reading full with the ignition on.Then fuel was dripping out the throttle body, so opened the throttle and about a litre of fuel splashed out. Fuel line mixed with air line me thought. So carried on pissin round with it and the starter had been wired wrong and still had a few wires missing and in the wrong place. Then after the fuel lines were disconnected there was fuel dripping from the bottom of the fly wheel. So my mates who are meant to be mechanics said there is nothing more we can do. So eventually the fuel stopped drippin. Took the starter off.

As it stands now the engine is hosed up correctly all the plugs from the loom are on. But the starter needs goin on and wiring in and a few other wires need sortin.

Hopefully this bloke i know will turn up tonight and wire the thing up and it will run! :D

I cant see there bein anything wrong mechanically with the engine i hope it is just electrical.

The reason i think the fuel was leakin out was because it was goin in the inlet and had no where else to go so has leaked out from the gasket or somethin. But my mate put the inlet gasket on and i just hope he put it on the right way.

Any ideas?

Cheers :lol:

Its a GSi engine (jet-tronic) 8)