PDA

View Full Version : bolt on k&n for a 1.3L......

smithy87
01-08-04, 12:59 PM
Im new here guys, and have a question concerning the two pipes that come off the bottom of the factory air filter system.

The smaller one you tap off, either with a bung/screw/jubilee clip? That is what i've done..............BUT..............what to do with the bigger one?

Some people say attach a breather filter, some people say jus tuck it away, some people say mount it so the open end rests agains the filter face, SO MANY THINGS!

Currently, ive mounted it facing the filter face, IS THIS RIGHT?

Ill probably end up getting a t-piece or summit, BUT IS LEAVING IT UNFILTERED RIGHT?

HELP APPRECIATED!

Cheers. 8)

epo
01-08-04, 01:04 PM
how do welcome :wink:

personally if it were me id attach an oil breather (filter thingy) purely for looks but otherwise id just point it out the way not at the k&n otherwise us makin the k&n suck in all the shit the pipes kickin out

thats my thoughts ne way :wink:

broody
01-08-04, 01:11 PM
i pointed my oil breather pipe at the floor.

smithy87
01-08-04, 01:29 PM
Cheers guys.

So the bigger pipe is a outlet pipe, yes? Can someone confirm that?

My day has been made.

By the way, the plastic cover that fills the gap between the radiatior and the headlight, or the thing that fills in what the radiator doesn't at the front of the car.............you know what i mean.............anyway..........can u cut a hole in that and put in a pipe to act as a cold-air intake for the bolt-on?

:?

day
01-08-04, 08:41 PM
confirm

burgo
01-08-04, 09:07 PM
the big pipe u talk of just to confuse u abit more could b attached to an oil catch tank

smithy87
02-08-04, 09:18 AM
As long as its breathing out!

lets be honest...........the reason you get induction is for that throaty roar...............and my next problem...........THERE ISN'T MUCH OF A ROAR!

Maybe im expecting too much as my mates got a 57i attached to his 1.1..........*cough*saxo*cough*...........and that sounds the dogs.

Cheers for your help.

nam
02-08-04, 11:57 AM
Maybe im expecting too much as my mates got a 57i attached to his 1.1..........*cough*saxo*cough*...........and that sounds the dogs.

Cheers for your help.

thats why, the K&N you have is just a bolt on but the 57i is a induction kit so your ment to get a big "roar" i thnik :roll:

Al Wilson
02-08-04, 12:03 PM
I used to be able to hear my 57 but the exhaust drowns it out now. And pretty much any other sound ever. :wink:

nam
02-08-04, 01:05 PM
I used to be able to hear my 57 but the exhaust drowns it out now. And pretty much any other sound ever. :wink:

i bet your car is one of the loundest on here(when inside and drivein) because of the boot floor...................

smithy87
02-08-04, 01:34 PM
the big pipe u talk of just to confuse u abit more could b attached to an oil catch tank

but i can still drive with it unfiltered until I get a crankcase breather filter?

nova_rally
02-08-04, 03:49 PM
Its already got a breather filter at the base of the pipe behind the block, so you're never driving it unfiltered.

K&Ns have quietened both of my cars down since fitting them.

Alan

Riggy
02-08-04, 05:03 PM
the big pipe you are talkin about should be fitted into your k&n
if you still have the instructions for the k&n it tells you to drill a hole in the base of it and feed it into it :D

epo
02-08-04, 06:30 PM
tbh when i had bolt on's they were always louder than my 57i's
but then again i do have a very loud exhaust system so probably drowneds it out that and the stereo

burgo
02-08-04, 06:37 PM
riggy u dont have to attach the pipe at all, all that pipe is is a breather for the cam case in other words its pumping out burnt oil fumes do u really want that going threw ya carb i dont thanks

Riggy
02-08-04, 07:09 PM
true but on the original filter it does go back in and the instructions do say fit it into the bottom so :| dont really know

benji
02-08-04, 07:20 PM
mine pump's out green/black snot, steam and sometime's even drip's water out of it. mine must be a uprated one to get all these cool extras

Riggy
02-08-04, 08:17 PM
:o :D

5_door owner
02-08-04, 09:17 PM
mine pump's out green/black snot, steam and sometime's even drip's water out of it. mine must be a uprated one to get all these cool extras

:lol: :lol: lol

Snowface
07-08-04, 12:50 PM
your all on about the big pipe. But what does the small pipe do?

On my 1300 block (1985) it had a breather with just the big pipe on.

But on the 1200 block (1989) it replaced it had 2 pipes on, as above. A small and a big.

i used the 1200breather with the 2 pipes on my 1300 block and just pointed them down, not blocked either of them off.

I've had the engine running and blocked/unblocked the small pipe with my thumb and the engine note doesn't change or anything.

Snowface
07-08-04, 08:22 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7913564464&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

a little filter thing.

epo
08-08-04, 09:45 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7913564464&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

a little filter thing.

bit pricey shop near me sells em for ?3.99 and u dont have to pay postage