PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Lights How To!

sTuDeNt
30-07-04, 09:46 PM
Right!

Here is a small manual of how to achieve high quality (I think) smoked indicators for your nova without spending too much! It worked for me! However use it to your own risk!

1. Clear the surface of the indicator and then rub it down just a little bit with thinnest wet and dry paper to achieve slightly rough surface. Do not over do it!
2. Use white spirit to remove all grease and remain of dirt from the indicator.
3. Use black spray pain and give it really thin and fine spray over, just to achieve desired smoke :) Please do not go nuts on it cuz it will be too black and its not good. The other thing is if you use too much and want to get rid of it, its an arse to rub it down with paint on. (I had to do it so please be careful with the amount you put) I recommend holding the paint tin or whatever you use as far as possible, you will get nice and thin spray!
4. Let it dry (Don?t worry if the surface is still a bit rough after spray)
5. Use clear lacquer to give your light glossy look!
6. Let it dry!

You can use it to smoke your rear lights.

Please use it at your own risk!

It did work for me and I will post some pics later!

sTuDeNt
30-07-04, 09:47 PM
Epo, mate, you can just do it on the BBQ! :wink:

:lol: 8)

smitty5door
30-07-04, 10:01 PM
lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P wot a gd idea lmao

novaboy1981
10-08-04, 10:51 PM
well ive given this method a go today and its worked a treat!
i used matt black paint kinda by accident but has given a light grey smoky look that has really toughened up the rear end!
cheers for the tips!

Adam
10-08-04, 11:25 PM
How far away from the lights would you recommend spraying.
Also does the method give you complete coverage or does it give like a dotty spray pattern, if you know what i mean.

Can you put some pics up, thinking about doing it on my astra.

Also is this method for the side indicators or rear lights.

novaboy1981
10-08-04, 11:30 PM
this was used on just the bottom half of the rear lights.
i sprayed about 6-10 inches away and although it did come out slightly dotty, the lacquer evened most of it up. the dottiness may have been caused because i was using a fooked old spray can, but u really cant tell unless youre close up.
i may be able to get some pics but it depends how quick i can lay my hands on a digicam!

sTuDeNt
11-08-04, 01:14 PM
Right!
To answer your questions! The further you hold the spray can the better, it sprays really fine and even so i would say about 8 - 11 inches (usually its up to you, just keep and eye on how its comming up). First coat of laquier should not be too thick for it to stick to paint, tehn the second and third if you are perfectionist are there to smooth it off and usually final thick coat of laquier spreads out and evenly covers the area leaving it completely smooth (no dots)!

In most cases you get the dotty finish from crap can rather then laquier. Laquier usually fills all the roughness of the surface and make it look smooth. You can use some polishing products after laquier settles down (about a week) to make it look perfect.

In terms of indicators, i have smoked all the lights on my car using this method! Works exectly the same for all of them! Just make sure you prepear the lights first and take your time slovly and do it properly bit by bit!

Good luck!!!

smitty5door
12-08-04, 12:13 PM
seriously tho i don't no iff i would do that because iff you get it wrong you would need a new light unit

Mike.
12-08-04, 12:32 PM
yeah it sound good and i bet it loks good when done right but what would you do when it goes wrong?

hendrix
12-08-04, 01:02 PM
yeah it sound good and i bet it loks good when done right but what would you do when it goes wrong?
...get some more clusters!!!
It sounds a better technique than the old method of putting tights over the clusters!!!! :roll:

Mike.
12-08-04, 01:27 PM
yeah but thats just wasting money
y not tinting spray

sTuDeNt
12-08-04, 05:29 PM
Why!?

Just if you perfectionist!

Get some clasters from scrappy, should not cost you much! :) But they do look good!

epo
12-08-04, 06:53 PM
Epo, mate, you can just do it on the BBQ! :wink:

:lol: 8)

pmsl i am a bit of a fire bug :lol:

Col_Mk1
12-08-04, 10:11 PM
if it goes wrong just use sumthing 2 take the paint off :roll:

novaboy1981
12-08-04, 10:20 PM
absolutely right mate.....i buggered it up then just took it off with heavy duty sandpaper! :idea: straight back 2 the original finish!
anyway, theyre all tinted now and looking mean! :twisted: