PDA

View Full Version : Need help ASAP, need to get engine dropped by sundown!

Dexter
30-07-04, 03:57 PM
Hey guys i use roybacer a lot so i guess im walking on uncharted territory, never the less, i need help!
Ive got a 1.4 SRi nova and im currently dropping the engine i.e. NOW!
been reading through haynes and ive dropped the coolant, oil and whacked it up on axel stands got the bonnet off ( i know, all the easy part), ive taken off the front left wheel as its told me to, and im up to the point where its telling me to withdraw the transmission input shaft. I cant find for the life of me the large plug from the transmission end cover. Its really pissing me off because its supposed to be so large (36mm) and has stopped me in tracks
Please helpy
Dex

Riggy
30-07-04, 04:37 PM
hi mate easiest way to do it is to forget about big bolt and just take the hubs and take them off the the bottom arms aswell and the track rods and then just pull them out of the gearbox with a sharp pull its loads easier :D

_JH_
31-07-04, 12:53 AM
not all boxes have the plug, you have to remove the whole cover (not hard) if you want to withdraw the input shaft

burgo
31-07-04, 04:20 PM
i find easiest way is to take bonnet off undo everyfing and take off exhaust manifold inlet manifold and carb start motor off and alternator off then drivers side mount and front gearbox mount the jack under engine and under gerbox then jack up the engine until its at an angle which u can seperate it from the box the lift it over the top unless u want box out aswell of course then drop it all out the bottom

irmscherkris
31-07-04, 05:22 PM
you are supposed to have a splined drive socket bit-BUT if your like me undo your original engine if you have a hoist raise slightly undo o/s/mount then i just keep hoisting up thenwriggle it as you lift then you here a click (thats one of the teeth on the clutch) and theres your engine swinging about

when you drop the other one in jack the gear box up a bit-at the front near engine then all i can say is lower it very slowly and dont get too pis+ed off with it as it will either go in straight away or...................

if it aint broke dont fix it! :lol:

robb
03-08-04, 10:16 AM
Jack under sump towards the clutch housing...

Undo all connections to engine...

Exhaust off...

Driveshafts out...

TCAs off...

Mounts off...

Lower jack and drag out motor!