PDA

View Full Version : 2L 16v or 2L 16v Turbo?

Anonymous
11-09-01, 07:27 PM
Right ...
to get things back on the subject... NovaSTYLE...
There have been previous posts to do with 1.6 turbo vs 2L 16v ...what I would appreciate knowledge on is :
what is fastest and most powerful (bottom and top ends =i.e. overall) 2L 16v (with throttle bodies) vs 2L 16v Turbo ???

And do they have the same potential to be suped up???

Cheers lads & ladesses

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
:x You'll NOVA Walk Alone :x

Anonymous
11-09-01, 07:29 PM
um you can get emmese power out of both but the major difference is the TORQUE !!

Anonymous
11-09-01, 07:44 PM
so which has most torque then?

andrew.tunnicliffe@whitbread.com
ANDY@WISEWOOD.NET

IT'S THE TREES THAT MAKE ME DO IT!!!

Anonymous
11-09-01, 07:53 PM
Sid,

Basically, if it's BHP figures you're after go for a 2.0l 16v Turbo, these can be boosted up to nearly 300Bhp!!! But the downside is... if you throw 300Bhp Turbo power through the front wheels of a little Nova, odds are you'll go no where fast, apart from wheelspin city :p When the boost kicks in, the front tyres just light up. On top of this you've got the added poor reliabilty problems, all the people I know who run 2.0l 16v Turbo's have experienced major grief with running etc...

You're best bet is a standard NA 2.0l 16v engine with throttle bod's if your budget allows. My mate with the Blue Nova on Sunday ran 14.6 secs all day long with a relitively standard (apart from Blydey head) 2.0l 16v, and is very reliable. Normally aspirated is deffinately the way to go, smooth power delivery is what you need in a front wheel drive car which has relitively little grip...

2.0l 16v it...

Dec

Anonymous
11-09-01, 08:11 PM
have to agree, look at the quickest cars in the country...jon shield, luggy, brett w, martin kelson, that scottish fella that trailers his,...mine/chris t's? lol

all run carbs ot TB's

i personally say throttle bodies, but some of this lot will say carbs, personal pref, but TB's are more uptodate technology and can be sorted well, more precise.

Anonymous
11-09-01, 08:23 PM
Yep, its gotta be natural aspiration. Turbo`s lag, then the boost makes em difficult to control. TB`s and Carbs give an almost instantanious responce with imediate contolable torque. You would need to have an extra 30% power at least in a turbo to compensate these probs. As to Ians statement, I AGREE, yep u heard me righ tIan, Throttle bodies are a more controlable solution with a the facility to fine tune and taylor for each situation. Carbs however will give similar peak performance due to the basic similarities of the two when on full throttle, but wont be quite as hot throughout. Carbs are also far far cheaper. You might want to refer to Luggy being only .1 secs behind Jon Shields on Sunday and he has carbs and far less spent on the engine and transmission. Its too close to call. Wait until the lists are posted up from Sun, then make up your mind on Turbos on all engine sizes.

Deep breath...

MC

Ickle footer! :P

Anonymous
11-09-01, 08:26 PM
hmmm i don't think luggy was disclosing all his engine mods myself, that is one quick car. he was a lot quicker than martin, yet apparently had a lot lower spec.

Anonymous
11-09-01, 08:34 PM
hmmm i don't think luggy was disclosing all his engine mods myself, that is one quick car. he was a lot quicker than martin, yet apparently had a lot lower spec.

Anonymous
12-09-01, 12:11 AM
Turbo, just for the dump valve

vroooooooooom tssshhhhh

This is my foo...

Anonymous
12-09-01, 08:45 AM
Cool ...2L 16V it is then!
I suspected those prob's with the turbo (blew the bottom end of my RS twice, well my bro did!)

Thanks a lot fellas!
I dont care what anybody else says about you guys, you're alright you are... :D LMAO

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
:x You'll NOVA Walk Alone :x

Anonymous
12-09-01, 09:38 AM
ian all luggy has done to it is. a lsd and a played about gearbox and the obvious twin 45s

If it isn't kev it isn't worth it !!!

Anonymous
12-09-01, 11:31 AM
that all he done.. hMMmm..
my valver isnt modded to much either.
wonder if ill run a same time.!!! :D
hahaha x-(

Anonymous
13-09-01, 05:32 PM
Ian, the trailered Nova from Scotland..is it that Verde Green jobbie? K95VHD?!?

Ta. Ben.

Anonymous
13-09-01, 07:05 PM
nahh thats garys

16v Nova - Toolkit comes as standard :)