PDA

View Full Version : just a Quicky about New Engines

Pez14sr
28-07-04, 05:57 PM
I had a brand new engine fitted in my 14sr yesturday and i was told by the mechanic to not go over 50mph for 1000miles, what do you reckon on this?? My mates have told me that the harder you run it in the better it will run when it is run in.

Cheers Lads, (not ladies cox they shouldnt be driving nova's)

dan-hipgrave
28-07-04, 06:01 PM
whenever my dad has got a new car hes just been told not to drive it hard for the first couple of hundred miles - never as drastic as under 50 for 1000miles though....
I think its just to bed the engine in but not sure exactly.

not ladies cox they shouldnt be driving nova's

You'll get some stick for that one mate :lol:

Pez14sr
28-07-04, 06:08 PM
cheers mate, thats ok, i just done it to get more replies.

benji
28-07-04, 07:13 PM
i'ts down to your rev's not your speed. stay below 3000 then gradually increase

-Bruce-
28-07-04, 07:20 PM
yeh as ben says just keep the revs down as much as possible. and try not to hold revs at certain point for a long time, so try not to go on the motorway. as for what your mates say :?:

bruce

benji
28-07-04, 07:25 PM
thw rumour that engines go better when hammered from the word go, come's from bike owners getting brand new bike's and hammering the from the forecourt. and then after xxxx amount of mile's they perform better than there mate's gently run-in identicel model

-Bruce-
28-07-04, 07:32 PM
thw rumour that engines go better when hammered from the word go, come's from bike owners getting brand new bike's and hammering the from the forecourt. and then after xxxx amount of mile's they perform better than there mate's gently run-in identicel model

interesting ben, did not know that!!

bruce

General Baxter
28-07-04, 07:40 PM

as i bike owner (not a scooter ;)) this is utta bull plop, no engine will work better if 'hammered' from the word go

and yes found this that hard was 4 engines at over ?1k each :evil:

benji
28-07-04, 07:42 PM
didn't say it was true, just what i'd heard,

nova_172
28-07-04, 08:13 PM
this place where i live near who produce performance bikes run the bikeand seize the engines when running them in as they perform better in the future but thats bikes.

MechaT
28-07-04, 10:28 PM
I've heard the same thing too about bikes. That if they're run in a bit harder they go a bit faster but don't last as long.

Dunno if it's true but it kinda makes sense. As for blasting off the forecourt - sounds like B.S. "My mates brother's cousin once said..."

Anyway, I don't care, bikes suck!

robb
29-07-04, 09:54 AM
I got a YZ 125 and thrashed that after 30min running in, a piston or bearings in those is supposed to last a month of hard riding, Mine is still going after 7 months!

As for a car...from new it is 500miles under 3000rpm, so if it's a rebuild with all new parts it would be the same, also you won't notice but the miles will fly by, also cheap on fuel as not bollo*king it everywhere!

Davy!!
29-07-04, 11:10 AM
i knocked the shit out a car i ahd a few years ago 14 miles on the clock when i got it.... 36000 miles later and loadsa shit booting, the engine packed in although it was serviced regual, but unfortunatly it was a ford...and a lease car so i didnt give a shit, but best to break the engine in for the first 1000 miles, but all engiens are broke in on the bench before put into a car!!

Stuart
29-07-04, 12:45 PM
he has a good point there, every ford engine (atleast) is run in a bit before leaving the production line.

but as for old engines they arent lol

_JH_
29-07-04, 07:06 PM
and now for some pub talk lol.

a guy who used to work at bridgend ford, told a relative of mine (i know i know) that the engines that performed best on the bench in the factory went in the ghia models

:lol:

Stuart
29-07-04, 07:21 PM
lmao

the oens that performed the best, were the ones that happened to be built properly

ford engines are notorious for being up to 10bhp under book figures, even when run in

that is the Zetecs btw

AnThoNYnOvA
29-07-04, 08:46 PM
i think its best to run it in till as much as u feel nesciary then giv the car a good thrashing straigh after you have run it in

Ste_Nova
29-07-04, 09:16 PM
i limitered my 1.2i nova off the fourcourt with 8 miles on the clock... from cold.... it was still going strong 204k later.... when the engine was opened it was mint.....

can't say the same for the my 1.4sr... it blew up on the first night i had it :lol:

as for the engine now it's done 1000s of miles... but i spent good time running it in

Dan
29-07-04, 10:31 PM
i ran my bottom end in exactly as described by the engine builders, mine is as good as could be hoped and such facts proven. Personally the 3k limit, varying revs and no labouring of engine for first few hundred is what i would do all over again if i had to do it. I ran mine with increasing pressure until 1k miles then had it r/r, job done after 2 days.

End of the day its a personal preference thing