PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Type R's - Help

Macka
28-07-04, 09:38 AM
Hi

I was running 2 x 12" PG Octane-R subs off an Alpine MRD-500 amp
It sounded awesome but I craved more bass.

I invested in 2 x 12" Alpine Type-R dual 2ohm subs and an Alpine MRD-1000 to run them.
I expected a big big difference but was slightly dissapointed.

It does sound a little louder and a little clearer but not a great deal better.

Also I have noticed with the new amp and subs that when i crank it right up it sounds as if the subs are kicking when they shouldnt be, as if the air is forcing them back out too quickly. Is the result of an enclosure which is too small.

The enclosure for these subs is far smaller than what I used for the PG subs but I have been assured that it is the correct size for the subs.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved peeps

Alpine99
28-07-04, 12:02 PM
try tuning the bass DOWN on the amp, it could be that you are pumping to much through them. (i do it all the time :x )

also, are they in a sealed box or are they open?

also make sure that you have the - and + right on the subs and amps, as they coul be fighting each other.

Macka
28-07-04, 12:24 PM
the gain on the amp is not set on full
I know there is a lot more power than my old set up but if i turn the gain down then it sounds nowhere near as good as my old set up

I am also running an mrv-f340 4ch amp for my speakers so with the sub amp gain turned down the 4 speakers overpower the subs.

my + and - are all fine.

Macka
28-07-04, 10:21 PM
They are in a double sealed enclosure.

Would I benifit from a ported enclosure.

The subs are 300w rms each but because I deliberately set the subs up on the amp to acheive a 2 ohm load each sub is getting 500w rms.

I know the subs can handle this extra power but could the enclosure be a bit small for the extra movement from the subs. Or am I just being stupid?? :o

Macka
29-07-04, 10:50 AM
Problem solved

It was simply a case of messing around with the gains on both amps.
In this case less is definately more.

I am not used to such a powerful amp thats all I have probably been ripping my type-r's to pieces :)

It sounds plenty good enough now

Thanks for ya help
:)

epo
29-07-04, 07:30 PM
ive got a 12" type r and its alright no complaints prefer rockford tho

170va
11-08-04, 10:48 PM
im runnin 4 type rs through a jl 1000/w @ 4 om
i have a oversize battery
pg bass cube and a 4fd power cap !
2 much bass