PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed...

J4MES
26-07-04, 09:41 PM
ok iv found a 1.3 sr in white, can people tell me what and where to look so that it narrows down the chances that i buy a sh***er!!! would a HPi check be a good idea???

thanks in advance...

epo
26-07-04, 09:46 PM
mainly
check vin and chasis plates make sure they corespond with the log book
look at the rear arches main place for rot
inside the book and engine bay just have a good look round

see if theres blue or white smoke on revs and start up

J4MES
26-07-04, 10:02 PM
cheers epo, any other places to look??? what about the HPI check???

nam
26-07-04, 10:18 PM
after a recent experiance with HPI i really wont do it but its upto you.
look under the battery for rot as well as rear archs, boot floor and behind rear bumper. i posted a whileago now about most popular rust spots i will dig out the post for you now.

MechaT
26-07-04, 10:38 PM
Purchase a Magnet of Truth and a Hammer of Justice!!
Use the magnet to check for rust or filler covered with paint on all the wings and bottom of the doors. If I'd have used one I'd have discovered a hooj rust patch painted over the wing by my 'mate' when I bought my car off him.

Use the hammer to tap around the sill to look for rust. (If there's lots, shout NO and run!)
You'll be lucky to get one with no rust, but a little can be sorted out cheaply if you know the right people.

Engine should tick lightly and no more. Check for white froth on the oil cap or rainbow slick in coolant tank. Not good.

Engines are tough and can still be good over 100,000 miles as long as it doesn't smoke.

I s'pose HPI check for peace of mind. Don't know how much it costs tho

whitty_nova_1300sr
27-07-04, 01:34 AM
i wouldnt get a HPI check ant worth the ????, u can spend it better in mods.

like its all ready bn said rear arches, Battery tray (mine went a **** 2 replace, noticed as well the footwells usally have rots holes in under the carpet.

nam
27-07-04, 11:26 AM
I s'pose HPI check for peace of mind. Don't know how much it costs tho
?25,

Riggy
27-07-04, 08:30 PM
also check where there rear springs seat to the body of the car cos i have had 3 go there and thanks to the other night check that the box section which hold the bracket for the back box isnt gonna fall off :(

J4MES
27-07-04, 08:50 PM
cheers guys this has helped me loads, hope to unveil my nova to you lads soon..... :lol:

slimshady
28-07-04, 09:35 AM
Hiya guys, this thread was just what im looking for. :D

As a few of you may know, me and Jody are looking for a Nova at the mo.

Having previously owned one (although a while ago) I knew about most of the above.

Talking to the guy about this one, he was saying there was some rust near the fuel pump, but dunno quite where he meant, whether he means the boot floor or not, have to see when we look at it.

Is that a common place in your experience???

Cheers for any help in advance. :D