PDA

View Full Version : Pictures In Total Vauxhall

krobinson
26-07-04, 07:25 PM
The quality of pictures in Total Vauxhall have never really been the greatest. I'm not sure if anyone has ever pointed this out to them, but I think its time we let them know.

I don't want to slag off an otherwise fantastic magazine, I want this thread to compile constructive criticism, so we can then mail the link to them and hopefully get some positive feedback.

So, what do you lot think they need to do to improve?

One major point that I'll make. We need pics of each feature car, from a few different angles. Also, if something is talked about within the feature, it would also be nice to see a Picture of it. Example: Nick Caro's custom rear lights!!

Keith

epo
26-07-04, 07:29 PM
yep totaly agree
they did the same with pics of a red nova cant remeber who's it was (lad on here)

also with nick's they didnt show that much of the inside

krobinson
26-07-04, 07:35 PM
yep totaly agree
they did the same with pics of a red nova cant remeber who's it was (lad on here)

also with nick's they didnt show that much of the inside

Not one pic of the side, or rear, custom lights, roof lineing. They show'd a real closeup of the rocker cover, but not the actual engine bay, the list is endless!

On karl's, he has one of the nicest Nova engine bay's around, and they only had one tiny picture of it!

Keith

Rick Draper
26-07-04, 08:09 PM
TVX really sucks at the moment, it has done for the last few years to be honest, Perfornamce ford and fast ford are far better mags with more indepth stuff. Rick

Mel
26-07-04, 08:23 PM
i agree with you Keith.

i like to see an all-round picture of the nova (i.e front, sides, and back) and then some of the important stuff mentioned in the mag. It would have been good to have seen the custom rears this month, and the roof lining (as already said).

Something that i dislike is some of the pics are chopped off..it does annoy me when theres a pic thats not showing hte complete pic (but that could just be me being picky lol)

But, i do like the mag apart from that :wink:

epo
26-07-04, 08:37 PM
TVX really sucks at the moment, it has done for the last few years to be honest, Perfornamce ford and fast ford are far better mags with more indepth stuff. Rick

yep i always read em and the features are spot on so's the meetin shoots they do

-Bruce-
26-07-04, 08:45 PM
i agree wholeheartedly with all of you. the pics were not good at all in most features!! and i would like to have had a good look at the back of nick caro's car. and would liked also to see the roof lining!! but it was a good feature i would say, on a whole.

bruce

Jim
26-07-04, 09:04 PM
The 2 page close up of the Engine was unnecessary. It could have been taken up with a number of shots of the car from different angles.

Jim

P.S. Whats with you lot and roof lining? lol

nam
26-07-04, 09:40 PM
yeah have i missed summit :roll:

i agree with every one here it was a poor feature for pics. plus i agree with jim about the 2 pages of the engine, i may be could have the point if it was the middle pages(small poster?)

Nam

krobinson
26-07-04, 09:48 PM
The 2 page close up of the Engine was unnecessary. It could have been taken up with a number of shots of the car from different angles.

Jim

Its more a pic of his Rocker Cover, theres very little else in the picture! A 2 page pic of his entire Bay would have been better, captureing his bailey tanks etc.

I mean, its not as if his Rocker cover is gold plated? Its pretty much standard, with an SBD Carbon cover!

Keith

MechaT
26-07-04, 10:17 PM
I'd like proper product reviews and product tests (eg. dyno test to compare exhaust systems for a particular car).

Also, The 'League of Gentlemen' table is a good idea but it doesn't seem fair just having Under 1998cc, and Over 1998cc. I think it needs to be categorised into 1.3, 1.4, 1.6, etc...2.5 and over. seperated into N/A, and Turbo.

More Hardcore how-to sections! I like technical stuff!

It's a great mag and I like the way it's set out but there's still lots more that can be done

Benn
26-07-04, 10:58 PM
Not one pic of the side, or rear, custom lights, roof lineing. They show'd a real closeup of the rocker cover, but not the actual engine bay, the list is endless!

Keith

i looked at that,read thru it and was dissapointed they didnt show the good bits,
as good as the engine bay was,but 2pages?.... :?

Mike.
27-07-04, 12:16 AM
i agree with every one
nick mentioned that he had custom rear lights in the feature, but you don't get a single picture of the rear of the car
its a good written feature, but what good is a feature without having pictures to back it up!!!

overall good feature but poor pictures :( :(

dissapointed :(

Jules
27-07-04, 12:47 AM

One off alcantara trimmed roof lining (Matches the alcantara on the seats) - Looks the dogs bollys!!!
:o

Chris_W
27-07-04, 09:02 AM
Thing is, it's all down to what the editor chooses. When I had my feature the photographer went through at least 8 rolls of film getting shots of all the different angles, tracking shots, slo-mo shots, the works basically. But when the feature came out they didn't use hardly any of the pics. The photographers are freelance and do a bloody good job in my opinion, but it is ruined but an art editor who doesn't seem to realise whats modified and what isn't.

Chris

Jim
27-07-04, 12:42 PM
One off alcantara trimmed roof lining (Matches the alcantara on the seats) - Looks the dogs bollys!!!
:o

Like what Rick Drapers got? Use to be in Breenys turbo. i'm sure it's very nice, but it's just a roof lining! lol ;)

Jim

Dpnova
27-07-04, 12:48 PM
http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/901big6.jpg

Fester
27-07-04, 01:28 PM
Generally agree to what's been said - the editor(s) should read through the finished articles and anything that's highlighted and discussed should be illustrated. I remember on one of the first ones a black Cavalier was in where the guy had made his own TB's or something, anyway the guy had found a Lotus Carlton type front bumper and liked it so much he bought the bumper without even having the car which he then bought a built up around the style of the bumper... guess what there was no picture of?

Alex Mac
27-07-04, 01:43 PM
On looking at the feature last nite, I have to agree with all of you the layout was terrible, from what I could see of the car it looked a real stunner very tidy, but the picture did it no justise,

Myself and Keith have talked about this before, we are not interested in how the spoiler is bolted on with a full page pic, or inspecting the back lights for hairline cracks, let us see the full car to see the car in it entirety the finished product

If we are interested in looking at the car so close then we will do so with a microscope at the next show

I am getting a bit worryed now as my car is meant to be getting feature with TV in the next month or so

Don't get me wrong by the way I think it is a cracker mag for the vauxhall peeps, but I think they should take a step back and take a good look, taking the consumers opinions into consideration

Alex :D

Al Wilson
27-07-04, 04:48 PM
I can't be arsed to write down what I had on the other post but you all know what my opinion is. Not good :oops:

krobinson
29-07-04, 11:44 AM
Success, The new editior has replyed!!

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=140852

Keith

peester
29-07-04, 12:05 PM
lol; no 'hi im a newbie' first post for barton - poor git has joine mig web for a slatting. just so though. good mag; but should be better.

krobinson
29-07-04, 12:10 PM
We'll be scanning the MIG forum regularly, from now on, for feed back on each issue. My apologies to Nick and anyone else who feels (quite justifiably, in light of having just realised there are no back light shots in the feature) we haven't done the car justice. I've just (June) taken over as TV editor, from Walshy, and I'm keen to do right by the mag and the readers. Any one can ring or e-mail me anytime with any criticism they have. I will be grateful, rather than offended, for any feedback. We're actually looking to recruit photographers, so if you're serious about doing better, give me a call in the office. I'm into technical stuff so you will be getting better features, and it won't be biased towards advertisers promoting their products with the biggest mark-up. September is officially my first issue of TV, in which you'll find a feature on nitrous installation, and for October we should be down at Regal comparing standard and uprated intercooler power gains. I'm off now to talk to our designer and proof reader (the two departments who deal with the words and pics after the photoshoot) to make sure that from now on all words and pics tally up.

Keep me posted and I will address all your issues. Promise..

Barton
Editor: Total Vauxhall

:D :D :D Success :D:D:D:D

Mike.
29-07-04, 12:23 PM
its great that barton the editor has replyed on migweb
he seems pretty serious about changing some of the things in the mag

good news

Al Wilson
29-07-04, 12:34 PM
More down to earth and in touch is what we need :D

epo
29-07-04, 06:42 PM
its great that barton the editor has replyed on migweb
he seems pretty serious about changing some of the things in the mag

good news

nothing against him but i will believe it when i see it

a2lt16v
29-07-04, 06:53 PM
i think that photographer used to work at mini magazine and he was dissmissed pretty quickly as people complained about the arty farty shots

_JH_
29-07-04, 07:24 PM
I've bought a handful of issues of TV. Its full of ICE and flip paint type cars. I know some people do, but I couldn't give a toss about the new amp and sub combination 'everyone' is using. I wanna see cars that are fast, and can still make it round a corner. Cars that can make it down a country road without the proper bo wheels reshaping the front wings

Performance Ford is good. I often buy it and I don't even have a Ford at the mo (not inc. the tractor lol)

Like epo sri said, believe it when I see it, not that I'll buy a copy, I'll wait until I see one lying around at a mates or something.

epo
29-07-04, 07:41 PM
I've bought a handful of issues of TV. Its full of ICE and flip paint type cars. I know some people do, but I couldn't give a toss about the new amp and sub combination 'everyone' is using. I wanna see cars that are fast, and can still make it round a corner. Cars that can make it down a country road without the proper bo wheels reshaping the front wings

Performance Ford is good. I often buy it and I don't even have a Ford at the mo (not inc. the tractor lol)

Like epo sri said, believe it when I see it, not that I'll buy a copy, I'll wait until I see one lying around at a mates or something.

cough cough its just epo now mate :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: