PDA

View Full Version : Engine trouble again.........

dan-hipgrave
24-07-04, 06:19 PM
Just driven my car for the first time since last sunday and it seems to be having trouble again.

When i started it up i pushed the accelerator and it didnt respond for the first 2 pushes and almost cut out but then went fine. It drove fine and as the engine warmed up i put the choke in bit at a time as usual and it seemed fine and then when it was fully warmed up and i put the choke fully in it started to chug really badly. After changing up a gear it would lurch and almost stall, and did cut out at one junction.

It seemed to get progressively worse so i let my dad take over the driving as i didnt want to hit anyone with the way it was going and he said that it seemed like it was running out of petrol, but the guage was only just into the red. I also noticed that the engine temperature was up higher than normal - it usually is just out of the blue but today was past the halfway mark.

I thought maybe the choke was sticking but have checked this and it is fine....

So after all that, what could it be? My engine is a 1.2, standard apart from a weber 32/34 carb and K&N filter (i wouldnt have thought that the carb would be icing in this weather and it was put on and setup by a proper garage)

Someone said it could be the fuel pump failing????

dan-hipgrave
24-07-04, 08:15 PM
no one got any ideas then?

i have asked around and got many responses, but i dont know if any are right or not:

- Sticking choke (no - been checked)
- Knackered fuel pump
- Crap/air in fuel lines
- Carb not setup properly (was put on a month ago and setup up by a garage)
- Fuel filter needs cleaning
- Fuel guage not reading properly and it really is running on empty

nova_rally
24-07-04, 10:18 PM
Get some carb cleaner in yer petrol to help clear out all the crap from the lines etc. then check the ignition timing, this would cause it to be a bit jumpy and get warmer than it should if it's retarded too much. Reving it the second youve started it and nothing happening is nothing to worry about, thats just over richness caused by being on choke.

Alan

dan-hipgrave
24-07-04, 10:23 PM
excellent cheers mate. So you think that its just crap in the fuel lines as well. Ive got a timing gun, but never used it, my uncle who's a mechanic gave it to me - looks like i'll be doing that tommorrow then.
Hope that will solve the problem cos i paid ?160 a few weeks ago to have the engine and other bits sorted out....

nova_rally
24-07-04, 10:29 PM
If you have been running it very low on fuel then yeh I'd say it probably is. better to rule it out anyway even if it turns out not to be that. Always check the obvious things!

dan-hipgrave
24-07-04, 10:31 PM
this means that my dad was right again as usual. Whenever something goes wrong with my car the first thing he says is usually right :roll:
Cheers for your help mate, hopefully i'll be back on the road tommorrow then and not have to put the thing into a garage again.